News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Odd wiper problem on an 80

Started by TJ Hopland, May 05, 2011, 08:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Here is an odd one.   On my 80 sometimes when I turn the key on the wiper / washer will operate.  At first I assumed it was the switch because the mist function didnt work and the intermittent function was intermittent.   I replaced the switch and now everything operates normally except for the quirk of sometimes it going through a wash cycle.  There seems to be no reason or rhyme to when its going to do this.  If I am running errands it may do this on every start up, it may never do it.  I thought it was only when cold but we have had a few warm days and it still may do it.   It was a handy feature when we still had the snow and salt on the roads but is sort of annoying now.    I have a spare motor so eventually I will try and swap that out but am sort of curious how this is happening. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

T.J. - Sort of a shot in the dark here, but isn't the motor suppose to have a park position ?
Could it be that the wiper arms are stopping it from going to a full park position.
you know what I mean ? The wiper hits the stop , and maybe the motor hasnt had a chance to go to full park position.
Roy

TJ Hopland

This problem has just got more strange.   Yesterday I was meeting a person that was going to be late so I figured I would just listen to the radio and catch up on some emails on my phone.   I turn the key backwards to put it to accessory and I get one pulse out of the wipers just like when I first turn the key on.   Sat there for about 5 minutes and then with no other movement the wipers started running on low.  Changing the switch setting will take them to a faster speed but not shut them off.  Only way to shut them off is turning key off or starting engine.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

R Schroeder

See if you can get a picture of that ghost................ha

TJ Hopland

Ya does that mean that a former owner was killed due to a dirty windshield or something? 

I have a spare motor I should try and swap in.  It was a bit of work to remove it from the parts car so Im not that excited about swapping it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

R Schroeder

I know what you mean. Both my car and my truck beat me up pretty good changing radiator hoses and heater hoses. Also the fuel pump on the Caddy was fun.
I hate crap jobs......ha
Roy