News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

LaSalle straight 8's from the 30's

Started by olds34dude, May 10, 2011, 04:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olds34dude

I have  1934 Oldsmobile eight motors and have been told that this is the same as the 35-36 LaSalle motor, can someone verify this? Thank you for your input. David Varney
D. Varney

Jay Friedman

I have heard that while the Lasalle and Olds straight 8 motors appear to be similar, they are, in fact, different in a number of details. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Warren Rauch #4286

I checked Hollander (1942) and they say Olds 8 1932-34 is one group. Olds8 1935-36 ,LaSalle 34-36 watch Olds  is a second group. What "watch Olds" means ,no clue,but probably not good.
    From other places I found the 34 LS crank fits 34-36 Olds. Cylinder heads , pistons, rods,valves,Carbs, Dist,etc are generally only one year and one make. The LaSalle used a 6.2to 1 compression ratio .Olds 5.7 to 1. So putting a LaSalle engine in an Olds would add power. Olds in Lasalle ?.Warren

Classic

John Bertolone is a 1934-36 LaSalle expert.  He doesn't do email.  Suggest you call him.  He lives in Michigan.  Phone number should be in the CLC directory.  He can answer all your questions.  He likes to talk, so be prepared for a lengthy conversation.
Gene Menne
CLC #474