News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946 Cadillac rear main seal

Started by Dave T, May 17, 2011, 11:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T

I am thinking about replacing the rear main seal in my 1946 Cad. without pulling the motor out, I have read some of the posts but have a few questions. Is it possible to just loosen the automatic trans and possibly just scootch it back enough to let the crank drop down enough to replace the rear seal,Is it re comended that i use the Mercedes seal # 00 997 12 42 seal instead of the two piece rope seal, Is the Mercedes seal used as one piece , or do you cut it in half and then install it as you would the rope seal, Do you cut the seal 1/8" longer on the top ( block side) and also the bottom (brg. cap ) side, or is that too much material to squeeze together? If anyone could answer and and explane the exact the procedure I  would very much appreciate the information.

Dave T CLC 22554
Dave Treuhaft
CLC # 22554