News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

WardsAuto.com: Cadillac Sets Orderly Sell-Off of Big Cars Before XTS Debut

Started by Pat Caruso CLC #17825, May 19, 2011, 01:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

By Herb Shuldiner
WardsAuto.com, May 16, 2011 9:02 AM

NEW YORK â€" Cadillac is looking to sell down about 3,000 DTS units still on dealer lots and less than 900 STS models in inventory before its latest entry, called the XTS in concept version, debuts, likely early next year.

STS production ended three weeks ago, and DTS builds probably will be halted in about three or four weeks, James R. Vurpillat, Cadillac's global marketing director, tells Ward's in an interview here.

Cadillac will replace the two models with an all-new front-wheel-drive car that will be built at GM's Lansing (MI) Grand River plant. He declines to specify when production of the new model will begin, except to say “it won't be this fall.”

For the rest of the article: http://wardsauto.com/ar/cadillac_big_cars_110516/

picture caption: XTS Platinum concept one of future bookends expected to fortify Cadillac product portfolio.
Webmaster - Raritan River Region CLC   http://www.rrrclc.org
Webmaster - Valley Forge Region CLC   http://www.vfrclc.org

1975 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Meadca

Looks like another mini-Euro stiff front driver. remember that Cadillac was working on a "full size" rear drive car?  Why does Mercedes. BMW, Jaguar, Rolls=Royce, Bentley NOT offer Front drive? The answer is the handling and the ride. Wihn all the small Cadillacs it is truly sad that there is not one "real' Caddy. Not everyone wants a stiff small front drive cars for 50,000. I would surely like an alternative.
Mead A. Carlson #11922

Davidinhartford

Handling and ride?       Those were the qualities touted by Cadillac in 1967 when the Eldorado went front wheel drive.   And ever since.     Greater traction,   more interior space, more trunk room, better all weather handling,  all benefits of front wheel drive.

Sorry, but moving back to rear wheel drive is just that.  Backwards.   I'm old enough to remember driving rear drive tanks in the snow.   Spins outs, getting stuck,  having to put snow tires on each winter, it sucked.    When the majority of the motoring world went front drive in the eighties all that changed.     Anyone in a snowy climate winter will tell you that.

As for the dry States?    You can't tell me that Texans didn't like their big ol 1970s Eldorados.      No, i don't buy the whole rear wheel drive ride and handling excuse.   

57cadillac

If you plan to go on a race track or drag racing, rear wheel drive has a huge advantage over front wheel drive. Most cadillacs aren't designed for a race track or drag racing, so it doesn't really matter where the power goes.

On a different topic, almost all of the recent smaller Cadillac cars are built with or are/were available in rear wheel drive format, the STS and CTS (XLR as well) models are examples of 'smaller' rear wheel drive Cadillacs.
Nik
1957 Eldorado Brougham #184
1963 Daimler 2.5 v8

Charles D. Barnette

Regardless of the rear wheel drive v. the front wheel drive battle and the size of the car, my first impression of the exterior of the new XTS is how much it favors the 2003 Cadillac Sixteen Concept car. I remember that someone tried to buy the Sixteen from Cadillac sometime ago, and Cadillac refused. Cadillac probably knew then that it wanted that Sixteen exterior look (at least) to prevail at Cadillac. Charles D. Barnette