News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1963 Series 62 Cadillac Non-Starter

Started by Baza, May 27, 2011, 06:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baza

Hi Guys,
Can anyone help me with a baffling problem on my 1963 Cadillac Series 62 convertible.
way back in January this year I took the car to my local fuel filling station to fill-up ready to use the car the next morning early, and she started all OK.  The very next morning i turned the key and.......NOTHING. The ignition and Oil lights were illuminated but the starter made no effort to turn over. upon checking the leads and confirming the starter motor was not sticking I discovered old and damaged wiring to the three wires at the starter motor, so I ordered a new engine loom which subsequently arrived and was fitted. In the meantime i found damaged threads to the Yellow terminal of the starter motor so removed this and had it replaced and overhauled.  Upon rebuilding, the car started first time, and was again started-up, stopped and re-started several times to check all was OK.   By now the car needed her yearly M.O.T ( as is required here in the UK) and the car was started up and driven to my regular garaged for its yearly test the following day.  i then recieved a call from the mechanic to say the car would not start and did I know of any problems.  I then went to the garage and was amazed to find the car was as dead as it had been before I started any work on her.  Upon turning the ignition key both Ignition and Oil warning lights lit up as usual, but as soon as the key is turned to the start position the Ignition light shines even brighter but the starter motor is totally dead.  My regular mechanic is not conversant with the Cadillac but has kindly allowed me to work on the car at his premises as I am unable to get the car back home, but I cannot discover why it won't start. The lead from Ignition switch to Neutral Safety Switch is live when the ignition is turned on, so i disconnected both leads from the vacuum switch and placed a jumper wire between them hoping this would by-pass the safety switch, but still no change.  Is there another wire that provides feed to the ignition side? Does the other switch mechanism ( my shop manual does not seem to identify what it is) that seems to act as a slider type switch and which i have found operates the indicators (turn signals) also affect the starting side of things?  I am really at a loss to understand what or where the problem may lie, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry this is so long but have tried to explain the whole situation.
I am now desperate.
Barry Ashdown

J. Gomez

Barry,

The “dark blue” wire from the safety switch should go to the starter solenoid; this will be the one to activate the solenoid from the ignition switch.

Do you have 12V power on this wire out from the safety switch?

It seems the safety switch slider maybe open at the “P” position, have you try moving the shifter to “N” and see if that works?

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Barry,
Here's what to do. You need a remote starter switch. It's a button switch with 2 leads coming out. Connect one to the big terminal on your solonoid & the other to the blue wire. Turn on the ignition switch. It should start. If it doesn't activate the solonoid, that's the problem.  If it does start,then you can get your car home. Then keep applying 12V from the NS switch then all the way to your ignition switch. You will find where the problem is.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Baza

Thanks Guys for the assistance and suggestions.  I went around to the Garage where the Caddy is currently parked to check out and try out your ideas but unfortunately forgot that the garage is on a trading estate which has locked gates and as this weekend over here is also a Public Holiday the two other firms on this estate must of decided to take the whole weekend off so I was unable to get to my car. Damn, will have to wait until Tuesday now, but many thanks and I will report my findings then.
Regards
Barry
Barry Ashdown

Baza

Hi Guys
Well I'm pleased to report that i was able to get to the Caddy today and put a jumper wire across the Blue and Mauve leads on the switch and .....YES she turned over first time, so it definately  is the Neutral Safety switch that's at fault.  I have since trace one on US ebay and ordered it, it's a used part but i understand its in working order so i can fit this as soon as it arrives.
Just appear to have discovered a further fault when trying to remove this switch, there is a sliding mechanism on the base of the steering column which appears to operate the direction indicators.  it would appear that the top end of the connecting wire ( that's the end of the wire that is  under the horn ring), has become un-attached as i can see a piece of wire with a curled end on it.
Do you happen to know if it is possible to re-attach this without taking the whole column out of the car?
Any advice here again would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Barry
Barry Ashdown

geniusless

I just recently rebuilt my steering column out of two. I too ran into the neutral safety switch issue, the jumper between purple and blue was an easy solution but very difficult to find info. Lastly, the reason for posting. The horn wire was broken on my replacement steering shaft. All I did was just replace the whole wire, use a longer stretch of wire though as stock ones were to short in my opinion. This way you can easily pull the horn assembly apart with room to "play". If you get the column loose and rotate it(via Shop Manual steering column removal instructions), you should be able to see the wire end soldered to the lower horn ring end at neutral safety switch opening. If you are using a typical low heat soldering iron, i would suggest using heat gun or micro torch to heat the area of metal to be soldered first.

ooops this old tehehehe...