News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

trunk pull down feature

Started by Terry Cox #26379, May 30, 2011, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Cox #26379

hi all, i was wondering how much trouble it would be to put a trunk pull down on my eldorado. ? it has the release currently. i wonder...are they seperate features physically (2 different parts mounted together) and if a car came from the factory with just the release can i add the pull down. there is one for sale on the net and i'm thinking about it. my car has ALL the other options i can think of except an astro roof. (i Believe) ,,,.(if it was even available that year...) terry ???

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Terry,

What year?   Some had the cable pull-down, and others the electric one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Terry Cox #26379

bruce, yes, i forgot the info. for which i referring to.
my car is a 73 eldorado , the part is from a 78 eldorado, and the part for sale is an electric one not the cable driven one. it is on ebay. item # 150593080306.  thanks, terry.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think it would be difficult to swap a cable one for an electric one, unless you had everything.

What is wrong with your Cable one?

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

The remote release in that era was on the trunk lid.  I dont think the lid side changes with the pulldown feature.   The 73 still had the cable pulldown.  The catch (on the body side) telescoped up and was operated by a cable.  The other end of the cable was attached to a shock like device with a roller on the end it that rode on a cam sort of thing that was part of or attached to the hinge.  75?-78 was a fairly heavy duty gearbox sort of thing that was operated by a electric motor.  I have never looked close at them side by side so I dont know if the mounting area is different or not.   I also never saw a 73 without one so I dont know if all the mounts and the cam are there or not.   My 78 CDV did not have it and the catch was just a simple welded thing that did not look like there was a place to attach a motor.  79-90's was a part plastic arrangement that does not seem to be that reliable or durable. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

I can not speak for the ’73 but up to ’70 the mounting bracket on the lower side was different for the pull down than for the manual latch.  To add a pull down unit you have to cut off the original bracket and weld in the replacement. 

The lid release is an easy change as all you have to do is bolt in the release mechanism and run the hoses and add the button.   

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Davidinhartford

I put power pull-down in my 74 Eldorado that came from a 78 Eldo.  It can be done.

You need to get the mounting bracket as well as the motor, plus the part on the trunklid is different too.  The harness too.

I traced a template around the mounting bracket on the 78, so I could position it in the right spot on the 74.   The mounting plate on the non power type is welded in place.  So you will need to pry it off.   Then using the template, you drill new holes to mount the power pull down bracket.   Attach the motor, replace the lid solenoid with the striker plate, and run the new harness.

The only concern I would have is that your car is a 73.  I've never looked in the trunk of a 73 Eldorado, but the rear bumper and trunklid look pretty different from the 74-78 design.

TJ Hopland

Was 74 or 75 when they went to the electric pull down?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Davidinhartford

Antoni Deighton

I too would like to add the remote release feature to my '67 Eldorado. Are the remote release and trunk pull down separate components? Was the trunk pull-down even available in '67? (I know that the remote release in the glove box was). Glen, you mention that you need to run hoses when adding the trunk release. Was it vacuum operated? The more I learn the more I'm amazed by these cars!
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Terry Cox #26379

huh,,,well now,,,,,i need to get back with you guy's on this. ....my 73 eldorado does have the release feature.  ..i'm at odds because i noticed when i bought the car i released the trunk within the glovebox as they could not find the round key....upon wanting to close the trunk i pushed down on it and it was stiff  until about 2/3 way then it got easier (almost with a "breakaway" action) ...then was firm again upon closing with no pull down feature that i noticed....i just figured it was stiff and was supposed to be that way and was made that way in case the pull down feature was addded...i did not notice any pull down mechanicism on the car but i'll have to go look again and see what i have and will get back on here to post it.
however...i did notice (i think glanced at) something strange about or rather on the dog legs (hinges) for the trunklid.  ..let me look and stayed tuned.. terry :-\

Terry Cox #26379

well men....i just looked in the trunk on the eldorado and IT DOES HAVE trunk release AND PULL DOWN FEATURE...i did not know ! i thought it only had the release.
T.J.  (and others) are right in that mine IS cable driven.
it has one good spring on it and the cable is tight as it is supposed to be i'm sure.
i hear no noise(cable driven )....but read in T.J.'s post about a shock on the other end of the cable.(?) i am assuming that the cable is pulled and lid is drawn down further by the shock action ??
is that what i reading from your post t.j.?
and since mine is not working...would the shock be the culprit?.....i'll wait for a reply and in the meantime i'll look further into all the parts as to why it doesn't operate when closing.

until then...i'll keep my eye's open on here every so often for someone to chime in. terry ...ahhhhh..so many options...so little time !8)

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will most probably have a rusted cable.   

The best way to check is open the trunk, and press down on the pivoting lever at the hinge, to extend the spring-loaded tubular thing, and with a screw driver, or your finger on the other hand, depress the lever directly under where the trunk lock strikes, and see if the latching section depresses towards the floor.

If nothing moves, then  the cable is stuck.

Disconnect each end of the cable, and test each item, lock, plunger, etc, and then try and pull the inner cable either way.

Mine was rusted and stuck, but I managed to free it, as I couldn't locate a replacement.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Terry Cox #26379

bruce, i will be on it again tomorrow.(weds). as it is 21:31 here at my location.  will post again tomorrow . thanks, terry ;)

Glen

Antoni,

Yes the release portion is vacuum operated on the ’67. 

The attached PDF file form the ’67 Body manual does a good job of explaining this mechanical system. 

One of the neat features is the switch that lights a light on the dash. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Glen

I had to break the PDF file in to two parts to post it.  Sorry about that.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

On the cable operated ones if you close the lid most of the way and then pause for a second the catch will begin to pull down and it wont latch.   To get it to work you have to let it up a few feet and wait about 5 seconds then close it all the way to the latch in one motion. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Terry Cox #26379

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on May 31, 2011, 09:21:04 PM
You will most probably have a rusted cable.   

The best way to check is open the trunk, and press down on the pivoting lever at the hinge, to extend the spring-loaded tubular thing, and with a screw driver, or your finger on the other hand, depress the lever directly under where the trunk lock strikes, and see if the latching section depresses towards the floor.

If nothing moves, then  the cable is stuck.

Disconnect each end of the cable, and test each item, lock, plunger, etc, and then try and pull the inner cable either way.

Mine was rusted and stuck, but I managed to free it, as I couldn't locate a replacement.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on June 01, 2011, 09:21:56 AM
On the cable operated ones if you close the lid most of the way and then pause for a second the catch will begin to pull down and it wont latch.   To get it to work you have to let it up a few feet and wait about 5 seconds then close it all the way to the latch in one motion. 
well guys, now i am still at odds with this thing.  first i did what bruce said and yes the latch does move downward when i'm pushing on the shock dog .  and as t.j. said i did try his method of closing after i read his reply as well. either way it still will not pull it down. in one motion...i pull the trunk lid down to just catch the stricker  and no sound , no movement no nothing. the cable is not broken ...it moves the latch when i push on the arm to activate the shock....boy,,,i'm at a loss. terry

Glen

If I read it correctly the catch on the pull down unit should not move as the lid is lowered until the striker latches onto the lower striker.  If it does start to lower then the cable is not allowing the lower unit to rise all the way up and latch or cock as they call it. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

No matter how much pressure you put on the lever at the trunk hinge, the striker won't begin to drop until you press the release mechanism.

This is accomplished in the normal closing of the trunk lid by the lock striking the release lever.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe