News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Barn Finds & Forgotten LaSalles & Cadillacs - (post your pictures and stories)

Started by Jim Beard, June 01, 2011, 09:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Beard

Hey everybody, I was just searching the posts for a thread on Cadillac & LaSalle garage and barn finds and could not find one. So post your pictures and stories about ones you have found.

Jim Beard

Here is a couple that I ran across last summer. A 1950 coupe DeVille and a 1962 DeVille. I stopped because the owner had a 1957 4 door sedan out in front of his shop (parts car) so that lured me in. He was a nice guy and let me look around at his other cars hidden behind the building. I immediately noticed the cadillacs and went right to inspecting them. They were in pretty good shape. I took some pictures and copied the tag info. Once I found out what I needed to know I went back and made an offer on the 1950 coupe. He counter offered with a really high number, so I will keep working on him until I get it for the right price.

Jim Beard

Here is a story about a pair of 1966 cadillacs I bought a couple years ago. A picker friend of mine was on a rural farm when he saw the front end of a red car sticking out of a shed. He asked the owner if it was for sale and then put him in contact with me. After setting up a time to meet with the owner we went to inspect this red car in the shed. When we got to where the car was stored I was happily surprised to see a 1966 series 62 convertible sitting there. After looking at the car we found out it was a rust free california car that was parked after the owner had passed away. We started negotiations on the price but there was a stipulation, we had to buy both of the cadillacs. I said you have another? So we took a walk over the hill to the edge of a field to find a 1966 sedan buried up to the frame in the dirt. So we agreed on a price and got to getting the cars back to my shop. Lucky for me my truck has a big winch and we were able to free the sedan from its earthly grip. The sedan ended up going to a local salvage yard that does not crush classic cars to be parted out. We started working on the convertible and found it to be in great shape and had it running and driving after 2 days of work. We drove and enjoyed it all summer and ended up selling it to a limo service out of chicago that restored it to a white on white car to be used in weddings.

Jim Beard

Here is a pic of the 1966 sedan that was buried.

Cadillac Kid

I have far too many stories to recall, and they all have an unhappy ending with me dragging one, two, or three rusted heaps home to another barn.
D. Armbruster CLC #17321
'28 LaS 1169 Roadster
'38 Cad 9023 S7P
'38 Cad 9033 IMP
'38 Cad 9033 IMP
'38 Cad 9033 IMP
'38 Cad 9057 CPE
'39 Cad 7557 CPE
'39 LaS 5027 CPE
'40 Cad 7557 CPE
'40 Cad 6227C CPE
'49 Cad 6107 CPE
'56 Cad 6267X CCP
'58 Cad 7059X ELB
'59 Cad 6337 CDV
'60 Cad 6237 CPE
'60 Cad 6267 CCP
'62 Cad 6267 CCP
'63 Cad 6267 CCP
'63 Cad 6229 SDN

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Jim,

The egg crate design under the headlights, tells me it's a 51.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Glen

And the round parking lights on the second one tells me it is a ’61. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Tito Sobrinho

P.W. Allen.

A '51 indeed, with '52 "cadet visors" headlamp bezels  as well as on the parking lights... (fog lights). Alas, it was a common practice in those days to transform a '51 to a '52 on any GM product. The changes were cosmetic and expensive but hey, just rich folks could afford a Cadillac and the waiting in line was long. Hydra-Matic in the '51 was improved with the capability of rocking in sand or mud. The '52 got the Dual Range Hydra-Matic and an increase from 160 to 190 HP due to a 4 barrel carburetor and an option of Power Steering...Motor Trend Car of the Year.
As you know, the '49 was the first Motor Trend Car of the Year due to its seminal and novel engine.
The '53 lost the gull-wings front bumper a Cadillac trade feature as Haley Earl gave it to the '53 Oldsmobile, but it returned in '54.
Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Jim Beard

You guys are sharp! Thanks for the correction on the 51 and 61. I should have looked at my notes before I posted that.

R Schroeder

That is one nice 41. I wish I were 30 years younger and had more money. I wouldnt mind taking on that project.
Roy

Tito Sobrinho

Tito S.

1949 CCP 6267X  (First Series)

Thanks to Frank Hershey for its design and thanks to Harry Barr, Ed Cole, John Gordon and Byron Ellis for its engine.

Jim Beard

Here is my 1940 LaSalle I found in a barn about 15 miles from me. I was told of it by a local who said he tried buying it years ago but never had any luck. So I figured I would give it a shot. I went out to the farm and met the owner, a real nice guy in his late sixties. The story of the car was he bought it in Bloomington, IL in 1951 when he was at school. He drove and maintained the car up until 1987 when it needed the engine rebuilt. He was very picky about who he would sell it to and turned down many potential buyers over the years. So now the car had been sitting a long time and he had come to the realization that he would never restore the car and it was time for it to go to a new home.  It took me three months and many visits to show him I would be the best caretaker of his LaSalle. Since I have had it at my shop he comes in a couple times a month to check on the progress and to make sure his old girl is being treated right.

Wade Tibbitts

Here is my garage find.  It was last run/registered in 1965.  We removed it from it's slumber in July last year, and were able to have it running in a couple of days.  There are a few things not original to the car, but it is mostly complete.  Very little surface rust, and the wood is in great shape.  The first picture is "as found", and the second is after a bath.
-W. Tibbitts
1934 LaSalle Convertible Coupe
1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air 2dr Hardtop

Jim Beard

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

C.R. Patton II

Hello Wade

I sure would like to live in any of these barns. That looks like a 1934 LaSalle 168? Fabulous car with a Fleetwood body. There is a car like yours on Ebay right now. I hope a potential new club member or current member purchases that beauty. Ponder that thought, can a gentleman own too many LaSalles?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Wade Tibbitts

Thank you gentlemen for the kind replies.  I have also checked out the 168 that is on e-bay right now. If funds were no object, I would love to purchase it for the bumpers alone!  I have been highly unsuccessful in finding replacement bumpers to trade for my "custom" installed cattle catchers that are currently on the car.  Truthfully speaking, I have been so mesmorized by the state of this automobile, I have done as little as possible to it.  Thanks for looking, and I am glad you guys enjoyed it!
-W. Tibbitts

C.R. Patton II

Wade

I neglected to suggest that you acquire the LaSalle Cadillac Companion Car book by Ron Van Gelderen and Matt Larson. Fantastic read with automotive and technical data about LaSalles. Matt Larson spent countless hours in the Cadillac archives to provide us with information for our cars.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Wade Tibbitts

One step ahead of you my friend..... and you are correct, it is a fantastic source of information.  SO many neat things to learn about in there, especially for a young guy who wasn't around for the good ol' days!

David King (kz78hy)

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt