News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installation of 1931 - 1933 (hot water) Heater

Started by Mark K. Paré, June 07, 2011, 06:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark K. Paré

A friend in the UK is in the process of installing a Hot Water Heater in his 1933 Cadillac Town Sedan.  He is looking for pictures which show where the unit is mounted and how it is plumbed.  I am unable to help as there is no heater in my '33.
Mark K. Paré
CLC #23486

Johan Boltendal #158

Found some in my file but not many, it gives an idea of the fit.
No documentatation I have show a heater in place when the cars were new.
Johan

Johan Boltendal #158

Mark K. Paré

Thanks, Johan!  I will pass those along.  There is a picture of the connection to the radiator hose in the Authenticity Manual, but nothing showing the penetrations through the fire wall.  Hopefully, someone out there will be able to help out.  -  Mark
Mark K. Paré
CLC #23486

Johan Boltendal #158

Not exactly  a fine detailed picture but it can be seen, there is a kind of a shut of valve on the pipe of the waterpump,
with one hose conected. Johan

Mark K. Paré

His, like mine, is a V-12, so there may be some subtle differences from what is shown in the picture of the V-8.  But, thanks every bit of information helps.

Good to hear from you again.  I hope all is well with you.
Mark K. Paré
CLC #23486

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Mark,
I just checked my Nov./ Dec. 1932 copy of  Cadillac Accessory Facts. It recommends mounting the radio speaker under the glove compartment. I mention that for several reasons.
#1 If he ever wants to install a factory radio.
#2 I think factory heaters were installed near the center of the firewall anyway.
It gets real crowded with heat & music down there.
So... plan ahead. I can't help with plumbing. 
HTH,Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mark K. Paré

Mark K. Paré
CLC #23486

DaveZ

We have a 32 town Sedan and the heater is close to the middle on the right side. The radio speaker is up under the dash more to the center I am send you a picture of it.  There are blanks in the inside firewall insulation for where the pipes go though. I have attached a photo from the outside from when we rebuilt the motor.
Regards Dave Z
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

DaveZ

Oh and I can send you pictures of the plumbing too, but it will be when I get back up to my fathers.  That's rather a simple run.
The radio box you can see is mounted on the firewall on the outside. The rest of it is inside the car.  The antenna was run through the roof under the wadding, never took the wadding out to see it, but that's were it is Dad said:-)
Dave Z
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dave & others,
I think that the box on the firewall is the "B" eliminator. The radio head will be connected to the radio box under the dash. Early 32's had the speaker attached to the firewall. There was no room for a heater. That's why they issued the bulletin I referenced earlier.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Mark K. Paré

Thanks Dave!  I am guessing the firewall penetrates are a little different on the V-12's as it looks like the air filters will be in the way.
Mark K. Paré
CLC #23486

Alex D.

Does anyone know how Cadillac recommends the wiring of the heater in 1932? I cannot find anything in the shop manual regarding installation of heaters and how they are wired.
1932 370B  V12