News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ember color dip needed for bulbs

Started by Stinson, June 09, 2011, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Hello. Do you know where I can purchase some ember-color-dip for some small 6-volt clear bulbs. I would like to convert a set of small lights for use as turnsignals.
Thank you,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Ty..You can mix your own with clear laquer and add some Yellow/Orange laquer , or vegetable dye to tint to any degree of amber you desire. Mix up a small jar partially full and dip to your heart's content. If you don't like the density you can always add more coats ...or strip, adjust your mix, and re-coat ! Dip-de-doodle !

Stinson

Many thanks Bruce!

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Dave Shepherd

I did this and used industrial/municipal yellow in a spray can , works ok, just a lite coat though.

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Ty...If you want to eliminate the mess of paint completely , you can go to an electrical rental outfit that caters to treatrical lighting  and buy a small sheet of transluscent amber gel acetate and just wrap your bulb with it. Theatrical gel is flameproof and is available in several shades of amber. Cost is about a couple of bucks a sheet. BB

Stinson

Thanks Bruce,
Could that be applied to the back side of the lense?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Sure...Just stretch it under the lense as you are installing the screws...or use a very thin strip of double face scotch tape along the outside edges . Remember..You don't want anything flammable to come in contact with your bulbs. The theatrical gels can safely lay directly against the bulb with no problem ! bb