News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

More bicentennials out than the final 200

Started by Giuffria, June 12, 2011, 01:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giuffria

There are more than the final 200 bicentennial models out there. I believe there are four or more. A few protoye test models were made to test market. I was Lee Iacocca's partner and on the board of directors with him. I am looking for any reports of cars showing up outside the final body number seq.   Thanks
Gregg Giuffria

Davidinhartford

Huh?     Lee Iacocca worked for Ford Motor company, not Cadillac.

I would have to agree with the History books and say thay 200 was it.   There was no reason to make any prototypes.  No need to test the market for a "Last" car.

Barry Norman

I have never heard that . I own #78 and have read and collected all information regarding these cars . I think some people made triple white 76 convertibles into Bicentennials by painting the wheelcovers, and having Firethorn welts put on the seats. The real proof is in the dash plaque . interested to see what others may think !
Barry Norman

Barry Norman

On the topic of Bicentennials, I have always been curious as to what some of the other proposals for their color scheme could have been . I always thought they would look better with a Navy Blue top . The original owner of my car did not care for the white wheel covers. he bought a second set and had the center painted Navy Blue, and the outer recessed ring painted red. Though not original, I get many compliments on the wheel covers. Still have the white ones in the boxes.
Barry Norman

Giuffria

I am aware of Lee's position. However every company knew what the others were doing... This is not the point of what I'm trying to ask the group. I will have in garage on the 27th of this month what I believe to be one of the cars I spoke about. I won't know for sure until it is investigated completely. Would like to share info if anyone is interested.  Gregg
Gregg Giuffria

C.R. Patton II

All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Giuffria

Do you actually think they would build 200 with such fanfare and not built a few ahead of that or was the few they built in that configuration the ones that spawned the idea.  I'm not a magician or maybe I am?  It's just very interesting. I am not saying there aren't 200 in seq built... I'm saying don't be shocked a few more actual company "for sale" cars didn't hit the market! 
Gregg Giuffria

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think that Cadillac wouldn't have made any more, simply because of the possibility of law suits, as many people purchased the last ones to store away as investments, which we all know now, wasn't such a good idea.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Isn't it just a matter of looking at the VIN number on the car(s)?

The VIN number is known for last one, just go back 199 from that.

This website explains everything about the last 200 bicentennial Eldorados:

http://www.bicentennialeldorado.com/

If Greg has a bicentennial model that was made before or after the run of 200, it would be interesting to see.  If he would like to post info on the car, including a shot of the VIN plate on the cowl and documentation, it would be very interesting. It is quite possible that they styling department made a prototype or two prior to the last 200, it's just paint and piping, not a custom body.

Without some documentation though, it's just a white Eldo with red piping on the seats.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Giuffria

I agree... I will know in two weeks when all info is evaluated and the plaque is authenticated.
Gregg Giuffria

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

The body tag on the cowl will be between   013801 and 013999   as 014000 the last one is at GM Heritage Center.   A key item would be the TR  or Trim number, Bicentenniels were SO72   SO is "special Order" 72 is white with red piping.        Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Giuffria

I'm not saying the car is in those numerical parameters. I'm saying it is outside that but an early setup exactly the same as the final 200. I know all the numbering systems. There is one more possible explanation. Will disclose when analysis is done.
Gregg Giuffria

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Sounds like a new "urban Myth" being created and nurtured  as we speek.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Davidinhartford

Sounds like someone found a stock 76 in triple white and is trying to help push up the value of it with this urban legend.

AHBrown

The '76 Bicentennials were nothing more then just a marketing and advertising ploy used by GM, which they were very good at.  It wasn't enough for them to announce to the world, that the '76's were going to be the last Cadillac convertibles, which we all know isn't true and even led to a class action suit against GM, by some distraught owners/collectors/speculators.  They had to produce 200 more special of the special '76 models.

Giuffria

Wow! Now that got to me. Why would I want to push the value up? I'm already very rich. Are you questioning my character or are you really that insecure and afraid.  Gregg Giuffria
Gregg Giuffria

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Gregg,
I don't believe anyone here is questioning your integrety.  It is just that there have always been tales of "uniqueness" tagged on vehicles that eminate from what are called "Urban Myths".  Tales that tantalize the imaginations that seem plausible, but are not quite accurate.  One of the most pervasive is the one about the long front end of the Eldorado being made to accept the "proposed" V-12 engine.  Plausible, but not factual.
I am not one of them, but there are "in house" experts on documentation in the CLC, and I might suggest listening to them regarding "special" cars.
Just my 2 cwents worth.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Guys,

Why give this guy such a hard time?  He is looking to share info or request info on a 1976 Eldorado. This is the best place to discuss his car. He states he is evaluating the car and thinks it may be an early version of a Bicentennial model.

I'm interested in reading and knowing about his car. Why not be a little more inviting to a new message board member?  You are representing the club as CLC members. Personally I'd like to see the board and the club continue to grow.

I think the lucky owners of the Bicentennial model would differ with the thoughts of marketing ploy being a bad thing. GM was a lot better at making money back then and in 1976 it was inconceivable to think that someday they would file for bankruptcy. They also made special edition Nova's so it was. 1976 thing, not just a Cadillac thing.

Gregg, please email me personally at 76eldo@comcast.net if you like. I can direct you to another forum for 71 thru 78 Eldorados.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Barry Norman

As an owner of a 76 Bicentennial, I have encountered a bit of snobbery regarding these cars. I love mine-and am proud and happy to own it. I don't consider it to be the next Dusenberg as some did when they were a couple of years old. I just enjoy the car for what it is. I also wondered why the poster was getting such a hard time . Personally, I'm very interested to hear what he finds regarding this car.
Barry Norman

76eldo

Barry,

Having one of the last 200, specially trimmed, and a limited edition makes the car special.  My car is not a bicentennial edition.  It is black with a red interior, and was ordered in the fall of 75, so it's an earlier car.  It's a fantastic car, and I think that they are all beautiful and under appreciated and undervalued.

I saw a 72 Chevy convertible advertised locally for about double of what the asking price would be for a 72 Eldorado convertible.  Doesn't make sense to me, but it's a good situation if you want to buy one of these cars.

As stated, I would be interested in hearing more about the car that Gregg has.  He already said it's outside of the last 200 as far as VIN, but certainly could have been built exactly like the Bicentennial cars, especially if an industry big shot wanted to get one.  Could be an interesting story.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv