News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Eldorado Bill of Sale

Started by Quentin Hall, June 13, 2011, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

First of all I must say that I am deeply saddened by the news of Charles' passing. He was a wealth of knowledge to the hobby. I for one, learned many interesting Cadillac facts from him. His depth of knowledge and quest to debunk and correct errors or omissions made him a true historian. It is important we keep that knowledge flowing. One of the most important and vital things that Charles did was pass on that knowledge.
    I am tinkering in my shed on my 53 Eldo today so I will look to the heaven's and tip my hat to Charles. RIP MATE.

Here is a link to a copy of a 53 Eldo bill of sale. I have never seen one previously. Interesting that it was sold via General Motors Canada for a 30% discount. Despite the claims that the continental kit was 1 of 29 factory ordered, the bill of sale seems to bust this myth. No continental kit code is on the bill of sale. Hence, I don't believe that any 53 Eldos left the factory with a cont kit. However they were a popular aftermarket accessory of the time and many Cadillacs, particularly 50 through 53 were fitted by outside suppliers, possibly by dealers, however not by the factory.   Q   

http://autocollections.com/index.cfm?id=1542&action=details&tab=sold

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Q,
Thanks for sharing that invoice. The 30% discount merely reduced the list price to dealer cost of a little over $5000.
The only year the MPB shows a cont. kit is 1957. All other years were aftermarket.
I too, was saddened by the news about Charles. I only talked to him on the phone. Sorry I never met him in person.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

David King (kz78hy)

The way I read the invoice, it was intra-company sale.  GM North America sold the car to GM of Canada.  The odd thing is the car was dropped at the boarder crossing between Detroit, MI and Windsor, CA.  GM of Canada is based out of Oshawa and I think it was then as well.  That's a good 5 hour drive away.  So either the car was loaded onto a transport and hauled to Oshawa on the Canadian side which would be odd, or a VIP was there to pick it up.  I'm guessing the later.

My two cents.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Ross Morgan #22943

Quentin, even though it appears to be inter-company, this is still a great find!  Note that even in May, 1953, the model is typed as "El Dorado".  E-Z Eye Glass for $31.72c!  Q, have you sent a copy to Matt Larson?

I too am saddened with the news of the passing of Charles Barnette. I never did get to meet him but his enthusiasm and passion was so evident in his correspondence.

Ross.

Stewart Homan

Thanks Q!

As far as I have always understood it, all connie kits were dealer installed but there were 2 preferred manufacturers (in '53) whose kits would be regarded as 'factory'. (and presumably come under and not invalidate the warranty)

David - I'm guessing by May '53 anyone 'connected' was well 'over' the El Dorado and it would have been the teaboy or some such minion, dispatched to pick the car up from the border! :)