News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Military issue 1939 LaSalle?

Started by joetunick, June 18, 2011, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joetunick

Hello,

I am currently looking at a 1939 LaSalle 4dr sedan with the optional sunroof. The car is a nice barn find but the ugliest green I have ever seen. The current owner has buffed most of it out but it did not help it look prettier. Some of the chrome/stainless trim is painted green as well and appears to be original. The interior of the engine compartment is the same color. Could this green be a military color?
I did not get the paint code from the car. I will try to get that. Just checking to see if there was any definitive way to see if this was a military issue vehicle.
Thank you,

Joe Strauss (aka joetunick)

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

The car you saw may have been a 1939 LaSalle 5019A. The letter A indicates Sunshine Turret-Top Roof. Production total was 380 with 24 exported to India and Java. All of this data was compiled by Matt Larson and available in the LaSalle Cadillac's Companion Car book. The 2011 International Membership Directory for the Cadillac LaSalle Club has NONE of these vehicles listed.
I would suggest that you investigate the following:
Vehicle identification number (VIN)
Body Plate Data
Engine/Trans
Interior status
Chassis/Body condition
If the items above meet to your approval this is a relative scale for that car.
Perfect 18-25k
Average 10-17k
Poor 0-9k
The green paint that you see on the car maybe a message from Alan Greenspan signaling the possible appreciation of the automobile. In the event that this vehicle is in decent or better condition for a reasonable price you need to OBTAIN this LaSalle asap. Do not walk just run quickly to that barn. Make sure you go to the homepage to join our organization please.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe,

Please tell me that you acquired the 5019A?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

joetunick

Hello CR,

I have not yet purchased this car. I am attempting to get there this week to get the information from the car's number plate. If I choose not to purchase the car I will certainly let you know of its owner. I do have first refusal so if another offer comes about I can act-or I can pass it on at that time.
I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Joe

joetunick

I have still not purchased the LaSalle. However, the tag reads as:
Style 39-5019A
Body 247
Trim 31
Paint 61
I do not have a VIN #
The current owner is asking $11,000. The car is very good mechanically (new fuel system from tank to carb, new brakes), the interior is original and very presentable although the carpets could use replacement. The paint is poor and one front fender was heavily dented and partially repaired. There also may have been some rear end damage at one time but I'm not sure. The body isn't too bad with only one or two rust holes. The frame and underpan are covered with a conformal coating of light granular rust that rubs off but leaves evidence or slight pitting. The dashboard is lightly rusted-surface only. The car had been stored inside for many years before being discovered a year or two ago.

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

Joe Strauss

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

I'm happy that the process is progressing. It appears that the vehicle in question is:
1939 LaSalle 5019A
Body 247
Trim 31 tan ribbed cloth [broadcloth]
Paint 61 Empire Green [wheels too]
The vehicle identification number will allow you to obtain the build sheet (Perhaps manufactured in March of 1939).
You said the car was "very good mechanically". Does this mean you checked the compression and drove the car to verify that the suspension and transmission are functioning properly? Is it the original 322 engine? The cost of a carpet kit is nonconsequential if you have a Fred Flintstone floor. How does the sunroof roll and drain? What condition is the headliner and door panels/knobs? How are the instrument panel gauges functioning? The chrome on the dash could be  rusting due to storage with a window lowered or moisture infiltration. How severe is the rear end damage? The body cosmetics and chrome condition must be cost evaluated. You stated that there is conformal coating underneath. Well just like a woman if you saw her without make up would she scare you away? How do the doors and windows fit, look and operate? If the car has been stored ALL the fluids, gaskets and hoses should be changed. Are you flipping the car or joining our club to be another LaSalle enthusiast? If your answer is the latter and you are near Michigan I will be happy to inspect the car for free before you purchase. Otherwise there may be the possibility that you could contact a region member near you to assist. If you have anymore questions I would be happy to answer them.

joetunick

I drove in the car and it rode well. The engine was powerful, quiet, and smooth. The clutch grabbed very high but it didn't chatter. It looks like the original engine but I did not check numbers. The sunroof needs some assistance in moving and I'll assume it leaks as most body gaskets looked like they could use some attention. The doors fit and shut solidly. The trunk lid looked slightly sunk in with respect to the surrounding body but that could be from a deteriorated gasket. There was no rot in the trunk that I saw including the well. The plastic on the dashboard was complete but some knobs have shrunk. There was one button on the radio that looked quite distorted.

I would use this car as a driver. I'd replace body gaskets, etc. as needed but I don't need a shiny show car. My taste is more for the as-aged. I have a love for 1939 Buicks and LaSalles, both cars I had in high school in the early '70's. I will make a decision on this car this week. If I decide not to purchase it I'll pass the contact information along.

Many thanks for your help and comments.

Joe Strauss

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

Wonderful! You seem to be comfortable with your inspection and evaluation of the vehicle. I'm glad that you plan to enjoy the car on the road. That rare LaSalle automobile is an excellant example of prewar Cadillac craftmanship. I look forward to celebrating your acquisition with a meal on my dollar.

joetunick

Hello All,
I have decided not to purchase the LaSalle. My decision is based on the reality of my available time with respect to all my other projects, not on the car itself.
Please call Jim Anderson at (518) 796-3896. The car is located in Corinth, NY, about 50 miles north of Albany, NY.

Joe Strauss

C.R. Patton II

Hello Joe

I respect and understand your decision with the car. The size and magnitude of your character has been displayed. If I may be of assistance to you please ask. Very gracious of you to share your discovery with us. My barn is full. I hope the future brings an opportunity for us to share a meal because you are an asset to this planet.

revgawright

Hello,

Gary Wright here. I purchased the vehicle that has been discussed above. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone might have about it. While it needs a lot of work, I felt that it was a good candidate for restoration. I don't plan a frame off restoration, but it will require extensive work in all areas. I'm in this for the long haul.

I am interested in the comment above regarding information available on the car through the VIN. The Vin # is 2307044.

You can see the car at this link:

https://f1.ctsmemberconnect.net/garoupdb/O-0000000932/G-0000025738/docs/Root/sally.jpg

G. Wright
East Moline, IL
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

C.R. Patton II

Congratulations

Gary you have purchased a rare LaSalle. These vehicles are fantastic. Please join the Cadillac LaSalle Club and the LaSalle Appreciation Society. I would suggest that you closely read and follow the directions that I provided Joe in the previous links. If you need any assistance contact me. I look forward to seeing your car.

revgawright

I am already a member of the Cadillac- LaSalle club, but hadn't heard of the "appreciation society". Do you have contact info? I'll investigate.

Thanks,

Gary
G. A. Wright

TonyZappone #2624

This car was at our local Cadillac LaSalle club's meet here in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.  (not far from Corinth).  A couple of my friends looked at the car, neither of them had a running nice car, and for the life of me I don't know why most of the people who were exposed to this car did not buy it.  At my age I still have five cars, and I sure don't need another.  Congratulations.  I thrive on excellent original cars, and you have purchased a beauty.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

revgawright

Thanks Tony! I thinks she awesome too, in fact my wife is jealous. I think she sees "Sally" (what else would you name a LaSalle?) as a new rival for my love. Well…not exactly…but she IS getting a bit more attention than my wife is lately.

I was teasing my wife the other day by saying that Sally is “really built! And talk about beautify curvesâ€"Va Va Va Voom!

Like most women, Sally will be a “high maintenance girl!” She’ll need lots of work and tender loving care, but someday with a little “face lift” she will look as she did the day she rolled out of the factory and onto the showroom floor. This old gal will be turning men’s heads in no time (actually, she already is) and commanding far too much attention from other men, ogling her slender curves and smooth lines and trying to check under her hood! And it’s not really cheating if my wife is okay with it, is it?
G. A. Wright

C.R. Patton II

Hello Gary

The LaSalle Appreciation Society was formed in the summer of 2001 to assist members with their cars. There are over 250 LaSalle enthusiasts worldwide. It's a great group of people that preserve and promote the Standard of the World. To join contact the director Jack Hotz email address JacksCaddy@aol.com

revgawright

Thanks, I'll drop Jack an e-mail. By the way, in a previous post you wrote: "The vehicle identification number will allow you to obtain the build sheet (Perhaps manufactured in March of 1939)." How would I go about looking that information up? The VIN doesn't seem to use the same codes as late model cars do. VIN is #2307044.

Appreciate your posts!

GAW
G. A. Wright

C.R. Patton II

Hello Gary

We have the opportunity to possess the vehicle invoice of our cars which includes receiving dealer, option content, date built, MSRP, and dealer invoice cost.

Provide the vehicle data
(1)Year
(2)Style#
(3)Body#
(4)Vehicle Identification Number
(5)$50  (Check or money order only)

GM Heritage Center
Allied Vaughn
11923 Brookfield
Livonia, Michigan 48150
Attention: GM Vehicle Invoice & Cadillac Collection
734-462-5543 ext 163
Email vehicleinvoice@gmmediaarchive.com to pay by credit card

revgawright

Thanks! That would be interesting information to have! Appreciate the speedy reply, and having knowledgeable people like you to help me along. This is my first venture into the world of antique cars and I'm loving every minute of it!

GAW
G. A. Wright

C.R. Patton II

Hello Gary

You are on the right road by seeking the build sheet for your vehicle. As Matt Larson always says, "A car is only original once". The provenance and integrity of your LaSalle should remain within the parameters of the Standard of the World. Any deviation has a direct correlation on the value. Now you should acquire a Class 5 Authenticity Manual and the LaSalle-Cadillac's Companion Car. These texts will serve as a map for your future touring in that beautiful automobile. I would also like to invite you to the CLC Motor City Region Crank-Down Tour on November 5, 2011. I selfishly would love to ogle your piece of art.