News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle Radiator Thermostat

Started by csearider, June 21, 2011, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csearider

Looking for place to find a radiator thermostat for my 1940 LaSalle. I have a radiator man that I have been going to since 1970, is more than capable of doing repair and restore of radiator but needs radiator thermostat. This is the one in the front of the radiator that controls the vanes in front of rad.

I have found sources that are $250 to $350, but would like to check availability of one priced more reasonably. Will jump on the $250 one ....but would feel foolish if I at least did not check around first.

I am new member and am owner of 1940 LaSalle 4dr Sedan.

Thanks

Dennis

markl

Dennis,
I'm surprised that your radiator shop did not send you in this direction, but this style of thermostat, though abandoned for automobiles in the 40's is still in use today for some road-going trucks (Peterbuilt etc.).  Don't know where you are located, but if you have a Fleetpride or similar nearby, they can probably provide a suitable thermostat for the lowest price.

However, before you go to the trouble and expense, use the "Search" function on the forum and you will see that many of the owners of the flathead simply wire the shutters in the open position as these engines, especially when they been in service for years, need all the cooling they can get.  There are also schemes for placing conventional (flow limiting) thermostats in the upper coolant hoses.  John Tozer (CLC member in OZ) has enlightened me on that and I am tempted to try this approach.  It is a simple matter for your shop to solder a block-off plate over the original thermostat mounting location, but I really don't know how this is viewed from the standpoint of judging if this is a concern.

I would like to hear some feedback on the issue if you don't mind my highjacking your post!

Mark Lowery, CL:C #25216

csearider

Thank you so much......I have been a member of the Club for maybe 2-3 weeks and with your input I now know that joining was the right move. Your reply was just what I needed to begin the decision process. I do want to keep "Salley" (1940 LaSalle) as true as I can to her true nature....but I do not think I will be overly concerned about judging......but then again I do not want the hood opened to see a tie-wrap right up front. She deserves as much respect as I can provide for her and the least I can do is not disrespect the "girls" sensitivities. I guess if her original manufacturer name was "LeJoe" it would not be an issue....I would smoke a cigar and go on...."Salley" is a true lady and she thanks you for your good advice.

dennis

robert G. smits

I have had the shutters on my 41 wired open since day one as did the previous owner.  Between the two of us we have put 20K touring miles on the car since 95.  IMHO it's just one less thing  to worry about.  The car was shown a Hilton Head 4 years ago and at the GN in Savannah.  When you get on the show field you simply hook the mechanism up again.  It takes 5 minutes.
Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

csearider

Thanks folks,

I am also faced with the fact that there is only one radiator shop anywhere in the Central North Florida area and the owner is about 70 years old. This leads me to reason that I need to get the rad out and overhauled while there is still someone with the knowledge and ability to do it without having to ship it away later.
I will be checking with Fleet Supply today for possible replacement per markl.

Robert that is sound advice. Seeing as I will be overhauling the rad it may be best to replace as I would hate to go through all this and then have the thermostat cause problems later. If Fleet Supply cannot help, maybe someone will provide a supplier today in the forum.

Thanks Guys your input has been most helpful!...will repost final decision.

dt

Jim Beard

I have the shutters wired open for my 1940 LaSalle. I believe the shutters keep the engine warmer in the winter and since I do not do any winter driving I did not go through the expense of getting the thermostat functional.

csearider

My search for a new radiator thermostat for my 1940 LaSalle has been successful. Mr. Peter K. Sanders has a small supply of thermostats at what I consider to be a reasonable price compared to what I saw in my inquiries.....$220 including shipping. Received new thermostat today and am very pleased with product...new and in great condition. Mr. Sanders has a website at peterksanders.com and can be contacted at 703/3562783.