News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question on 85 Eldo

Started by Sllack, June 21, 2011, 08:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sllack

I have had my eye on an 85 Eldo since about 85...

If I were to find a very well maintained low mile original today, could I make it a daily driver?

What weaknesses does the car have, stuff I should look for when buying?

Thanks ahead.
Signed JKopra

1973 Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible

bcroe

The biggest problem will be the 4100 engine, which put so many of that era Cads into the junk yard.  Buy an 80 and get a nice reliable 368.  A 79 has a good Olds 350, but the fuel injection can be troublesome.  The 81 has the 8/6/4, though it can be disconnected.  The easiest to maintain will have the least electronics, a 79 Toro or Riv have a good 350 with no computers.  Those cars certainly can be a driver, I've had one since 81.  They are twice as much work as RWD.  Your driver will need a new timing chain & brake overhaul.  Make sure you maintain good boots on the half shafts, I keep a spare set.  good luck, Bruce Roe CLC # 14630

AHBrown

By the time the '85's rolled around, GM was well aware of the problems of the HT4100 engine, and the later '85's are more dependable then earlier engines.  Although many of the prices are in the 10,000+ price range, I believe that is far too much, considering the history of the engines.  How much is the owner asking?  Oh yes, they do make great daily drivers, if the Price is Right.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

1985 Eldorados with VIN FE623772 or higher had all the latest 4.1 fixes inplace.....better gaskets and cast in engine crossbrace stiffeners. 

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

TJ Hopland

Why an 85 specifically?    Very similar body and interior over the whole 79-85 run.   And like someone pointed out the Toro's and Rivs were the same body but with either the Buick 3.8 or 4.1 or the Olds 5.0 4bbl V8.

Im not afraid of a 4100 but I love my diesel also so take that for what its worth.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Sllack

I have an affection for the 85 because a buddy of mine owned one in 89, and I got to drive it from Buffalo to Atlanta and back again. It was one of the best road trips I ever had.

Thanks for the advice. There was one for sale in Vegas with under 40k miles I think, it looked like new and was 7k obo.
Signed JKopra

1973 Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible