News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Cadillac A/C Actuator Switch

Started by Josh R. Gentry CLC#26416, June 22, 2011, 09:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh R. Gentry CLC#26416

I am needing a A/C actuator switch for my 76 Cadillac. The parts houses tell me they can't get one. Anyone know where I could find one? And by the way, its the switch under the hood for the A/C compresser, not the dash controle switch. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Josh
1970 S&S Cadillac Park-Row Hearse/Ambulance Combination,
1971 Superior Cadillac Sovereign Hearse/Ambulance Combination,
1971 Superior Cadillac Sovereign Hearse/Ambulance Combination.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Josh,
You are going to have to be a little more specific about what you need.  You say the switch is under the hood.  Where is it and what is it supposed to do?
The compressor itself is "on" at all times the AC Mode control is on anything besides "off" or "Economy", or the outside air temperature is below 30 degrees (F).
Let us know  and perhaps we can help.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Josh R. Gentry CLC#26416

Thanks Greg. I'm not sure exactly where or what it is, I'm just going by what I was told. I'm trying to get in touch with the guy that worked on the A/C last.

Josh

cadillactim

Josh

Are you referring to the compressor switch?  It is about an inch long with a nickel size disc on it, and has two wires going to it.  This allows the compressor to turn on when the outside temperature is above freezing.   I have one of those, and you can email me directly at tagroves@wctel.net

Tim
Tim Groves

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Josh,
I am going to respectfully suggest that we first of all determine what exactly is happening to your system and diagnose the problem before you start buying parts of all kinds and chasing "Gremlins".
What is it that your car is doing? Does the AC blower operate when the system is in the various modes such as econonmy, low, auto high defrost?
Does the compressor come on at all and is there refrigerant in the system.  Your car is equipped with a superheat switch which is located on the passanger side of the firewall (engine side) at the blower box, with three wires leading to/from it.  It's function is to keep the compreswsor from operting when the refrigerant charge is too low (simplified explanation), and it is avaliable at all your local parts houses for a few dollars, butuntil we diagnose yopur exact problem, let's not blindly start changing parts.
I have found that frequently in these older vehicles electrical malfunctions are simply bad connections caused by corrosion on the connecftions themselves, and frequently all that is required is unplugging, cleaning and reconnecting the "offending" connection to make things function correctly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Josh R. Gentry CLC#26416

Everything is working accept the compresser is not coming on. It was converted to R134 about 2 years ago, and when I bought the car the guy told me he was told it needed a A/C actuator switch. Thank you guys for your help. I have decided to break down and take it down to the local shop tomorrow and see if they can figure it out. Thanks again for your help, I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
Josh

The Tassie Devil(le)

Are you talking about the switch that is in the rear of the AC compressor that is there to switch off the system when the Pressure is too low to save the compressor from destroying itself?

This is in conjunction with the Fuse that blows when the pressure is too low.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon