News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

help me identify my cadillac marine engine

Started by bigmoo, June 23, 2011, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmoo

hello! i am restoring a 1959 streblow boat which had a cadillac crusader marine engine (which was missing). i found a engine in canada and bought it and had it shipped. please help identify the year and size. on the back of the block above the flywheel the number 1473267. on the side of the block (which would be the passenger side) it has 2n15 sideways. any information is wanted.

thanks
mike 

Tom Hall 7485

If we take off the "Crusader" valve covers, I think we find a flat head V-8.  I suspect it's a circa 1942-45 military engine but it would take me some time to identify which series.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

TJ Hopland

That does not look like a flathead to me but I am far from a flat head expert.     Crusader I think started in the late 50's and went out of business in the late 90's.   They were known for being more refined than your typical marine engine so it makes sense that they used Cadillacs at times.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Tom,
Sorry but I have to disagree also. It's not a flathead. It's a  Cad OHV motor, probably  a  365. We need someone that has the casting #'s to chime in.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

Philippe M. Ruel

Found a partial answer in an older thread of this very forum.

Quote from: John Washburn on February 12, 2006, 08:41:46 PMThe block number 1473267 is for a 1963 Cadillac 390.

2N15 may mean that the engine block was cast on [month???] 15, 1962.
1952 60 Special in France.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Can't be a 63 with the distributor in the rear!
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jay Friedman

I think the key is the valve covers which are similar to those on my '49 Cad's motor.  This is an overhead valve engine and leaving aside the modifications to the fuel pump stand etc. it certainly looks like it is based on a '49 -'56 Cadillac engine.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on June 24, 2011, 07:09:51 PMCan't be a 63 with the distributor in the rear!
You're right, of course.

A reasonable explanation is, the block casting number should read 1473257 (with some grease on the 5), which would make this block a 1959-62 390.
Now, you have to find castings on cylinder heads and dual quad intake manifold (this one being older than 1959) to know more...

[Image from "Ultimate American V-8 engine data" book]
1952 60 Special in France.

TJ Hopland

I did not know they were back in business.   I have not really paid attention to marine stuff for over 10 years now.   A lot of the big names in 50's and 60's marine stuff, especially the higher end had trouble getting through the 80's and 90's.   Many of the names came back but are not what they used to be.     Those heavy old boats with a smooth running inboard or IO are about as good as it gets for a nice cruiser.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason