News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sad news, the passing of Jack Tallman

Started by Tim Pawl CLC#4383, June 24, 2011, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

To all CLC members, Cadillac Enthuisists, and Cadillac Dealers,

It is with heavy heart that I pass along the news of the passing of Jack Tallman. Jack was a long time Cadillac dealer from Decatur, Illinois who had volunteered to be one of our Honorary Chairmen of the Cadillac & Lasalle Club Museum and Research Center, Capital Campaign.        Jack loved Cadillacs, his wife Marilyn, has asked that in lieu of any flowers or other memorials that donations be sent to the CLCMRC in his memory.  The address is CLCMRC, Capital Campaign , P. O. Box 252796, West Bloomfield, MI 48325   .      Memorial Services will be this coming Tuesday June 28.    All I can add is "Thank You Jack".

Tim Pawl,
Co-Chairman, CLCMRC Capital Campaign
Past-President and Curator CLCMRC

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In the mimeo days of the S/S, Jack had a great article about his V-16 roadster. I believe that it had been used as a racer, sans fenders before he got it. The color combination was absolutely stunning. A deep metallic red, black fenders, and yellow striping and possibly wheels.

I came upon him polishing his roadster once, early on GC morning at the Speedway. I had parked my 1941 Series 6127 coupe some distance away, and modestly pointed it out. Jack can be forgiven for a quiet "humph" as he continued polishing.

Well, they both were Cadillacs...

A fine gentleman who always supported our Club.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

veesixteen

So sad, indeed. Jack, Marilyn and their daughters Jill and Joy visited Gita and me in France, back in 1974. Later, we were honored to be their guests when we visited Decatur, in 1978. Such a lovely family! Our last and most recent meeting, with no fewer than five members of the Tallman family on hand, was on the occasion of the Amelia Island Concours d’Elégance in January this year. En route to a well-deserved retirement with Marilyn in Florida, Jack parted that day with a dozen cars from his superb collection, including his favorite, the red & black 1930 V16 roadster that had been in the family for a half century (the new owner, Brent Merril, from Canada, posed with the family on that much happier occasion - upper photo). Dear Marilyn, Jill, Joy: Gita and I are deeply saddened to learn of Jack's passing. Please know that you are in our thoughts. Jack was an inspiration to me when I became passionate about classic Cadillacs in the 70s. He touched the lives of many others. He will be missed. We send you our deepest sympathy and condolences. BON VOYAGE, Jack.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

[This was published on the Web a few days ago]

NaplesNews.com

Jack L. Tallman Decatur, IL

On Thursday, June 23, 2011, the life journey of Jack L. Tallman, 85, ended peacefully at Decatur Memorial Hospital after gallantly battling various cancer illnesses.

There will be a celebration of his life at 11:00 a.m., Tuesday, June 28, 2011, at Brintlinger and Earl Funeral Homes, Decatur. Friends may call beginning at 10:00 a.m.

Jack was born in Decatur on May 14, 1926 at Decatur & Macon County Hospital, now DMH. The son of J Leverett and Gail Frede Tallman. He attended Stephen Decatur High School, Millikin University, The University of Illinois and The University of Colorado at Boulder.

He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. Following his military service, he married Marilyn Wilber in Decatur, on December 11, 1948.

Also in 1948, Jack joined his father's automobile dealership, becoming the third generation owner of Tallman Cadillac. He was very active in the Cadillac Dealer Council through the years, enjoying a close friendship with James Roach, then CEO of General Motors. In the 1980's, the Pontiac franchise was purchased and the company became known as Tallman Pontiac Cadillac Inc.

On April 4, 2004, after 98 years of continual family ownership, Tallman Pontiac Cadillac was sold to Dean Poage of Poage Auto Mall Inc. As a business person, Jack was extremely fair, non-judgmental, and was known for his integrity and eternal optimism. He cherished the loyalty and dedication of his employees and associates, having several employees who worked at his dealership for over 40 years.

Jack was active in the community, belonging to: The Kiwanis Club, The Decatur Club and the Country Club of Decatur. He was a founder of the Soy Capital Bank and a board member of Northtown Bank.

The automobile was Jack's life passion and joy. He began collecting antique and classic cars in 1950, being one of the first in the antique car hobby. He was a member of: The Veteran Motor Car Club of America, the Brass and Gas Chapter of the VMCCA, the Cadillac/LaSalle Club, the Classic Car Club of America, and the Rolls Royce Owners' Club of America. Twice he and his wife, Marilyn, traveled to London with his 1903 Cadillac, the first model Cadillac, to participate in the London to Brighton Run for automobiles 1905 and older. The car was aboard their 747 and Jack loved saying that the '03 Cadillac was the fastest car in the world, flying from Chicago to London at 535 MPH on one tank of gas.

Jack purchased two Cadillac Presidential Parade limousines from The White House Garage. One of the cars, the 1956 Cadillac, was directly behind President John F. Kennedy's car in Dallas when he was assassinated. Through the antique car hobby, Jack and Marilyn made life-long friendships with fellow hobbyists around the world.

The other great joy of Jack's life was his family, sharing travel adventures, high jinks and practical jokes. Jack was a superb father and dedicated family man. His child-like exuberance and joie-de-vivre were infectious and it was always fun to be with him. His incredibly positive attitude and sense of humor were contagious.

Jack mentioned daily how grateful he was to be an American citizen, to be able to live in the United States, and to have the wonderful life, friends and family with which he had been blessed.

He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Marilyn Wilber Tallman; daughter Jill Tallman Gustin and husband Timothy of Cedar Rapids, IA; daughter Joy Tallman Kondo and husband Cody of Allendale, NJ; grandchildren: Cayla and Kendall Kondo, and Chase Gustin.

Jack was preceded in death by his parents, J Leverett and Gail Frede Tallman; sisters Jane Tallman and Joan Tallman Smith.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be sent to: Cadillac-LaSalle Club Museum of Research Inc, PO Box 252796, West Bloomfield, MI 48325.

Condolences may be left to the family at www.brintlingerandearl.com
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"