News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 FM Radio

Started by fnoti, June 25, 2011, 03:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

Hey Everyone:  The radio I have is an AM only wonderbar radio.  I was going to do a conversion until I saw some of the prices.  My question is, is there a radio that will fit a 59 that has FM.  I saw one on ebay that apparently fits 59-63 but I wanted to check here before I bought anything.  It might be easier for me to buy an old FM that will fit rather than trying to get my current AM converted.

76eldo

Frank,

We are both in the same boat.  I have a 1960 and I am really tired of AM radio.  I purchased an excellent spare radio and I am planning to have it converted to FM stereo, but all appearances would be stock.  I have looking at a vintage car with some modernized radio in the dash.  i want to keep the original radio untouched, so I located a spare in excellent cosmetic condition.

I got two prices from people in the Phila, PA area, both around $500.00.  So far I haven't done anything.  I agree it seems a little high, but I guess there a lot of labor involved.

I do not know if a 63/64 radio would fit, but those were the first FM units, I believe, but still mono.  I was told that 59/60's are interchangeable but that's it.  Hopefully someone knows for sure.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Wilk

According to the Master Parts Catalog, 59 was alone to itself, with 60 through 62 being the same and 63 - 64 being the same which is when FM was introduced.  Only 3 ways to go here really:

1:  Take a stock radio spare and have the guts replaced with modern equipment (this is what Brian is looking at)
2:  Buy a unit made to fit the stock dash board and give a pretty good look (these are the units on ebay right now from Classic Radios)
3:  Keep the stock unit in as stock, and place an aftermarket in the glove box with a speaker switch to alternate between either radio.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  That's what I love about this board.  Lots of people with info and they are always willing to help.

I have seen the units on ebay and i just can't do it.  I am going to go for the invisible and expensive route by having my spare radio reworked to be an AM-FM Stereo unit with a stock AM screen, so it looks completely stock.  I can live with front and back stereo, not going to add more speakers or put anything in the glove box.

It's on my list of stuff to do for sure.

Thanks again for your info.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

It seems to me that the difference in the radios between the years is in the face plate.  The chrome bezel around the dial. 

I have thought that if you could transplant the face plate you might be able to make a 63 fit a 59 dash.  The rest of the radio seems to be the same rectangular box.  You may need to fabricate brackets if you can not use the ones that came with the car. 

Just a thought.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadman59

How about a "Redirad" (you may Google for it), and connect an Ipod or similar to it?
You keep it all original, plus it's a lot cheaper...

Feiko
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

76eldo

Looks like a great product, but in my area there are some great FM stations that I like to listen to.  The product gives you a great MP3 interface, but no FM.

If you get a spare 59 radio and want to take the time to try to adapt the guts of a later radio, it may be possible.  If you are removing the dash and can work on the dash on a bench and test fit a different radio, like from a 64 and adapt the brackets, I am sure you can do it.

My stock radio that's in the car works fine right now, and it's the one that came with the car, so If I get the spare one converted, the original one will go on a shelf and left alone, so I can always put it back in.

Still, I like the idea of the MP3.  Just buy the cheapest ipod, put your favorite music on it, and leave it up under the dash with velcro. 

Lots to think about now.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadman59

That's right, you can plug anything with an earphonesocket into the Redirad.
I had something built similar to a Redirad by a local radio-amateur, before the Redirad was offered for sale, and I have plugged an MP3player, loaded with period-correct songs and radio-;commercials(!) to it. Really nice; people love it when they hear it!
I think the Redirad is a better product than the self-built thingy I use myself though.

Feiko

Jeff Wilk

Doesnt the Redirad require an FM radio to start with?  How would this work with the stock 59 Cadillac (or 60) AM only radio???? ???
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on June 26, 2011, 05:16:06 PM
Doesnt the Redirad require an FM radio to start with?  How would this work with the stock 59 Cadillac (or 60) AM only radio???? ???

Jeff,

They have both an AM and FM band reception Radirad. It’s similar to the old FM converters to play FM stations on old AM radios which the different is the Radirad has no FM tuner. Both use the same concept of transmitting a low level AM signal for reception on the radio.

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman59

Please keep us informed!

cadman59

Thanks for telling how it worked out.
Can you still listen to normal radios too?
In other words, is the signal from the radirad just picked up as a normal radiostation between the other radio stations?
This would mean the "wonderbar" signalseeking works as before, picking up one more station (being your "own").

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello,
I ordered the redi-rad and i should get it tomorrow . What i would like to do is find a 12 volt unit that plays AM / FM and has a CD player and hard wire this right into the fuse box  on my car .  so i do not have to depend on batteries .  The problem is i would need a headest port or jack in the unit to plug in the radi-rad .  I have had no luck finding such a unit .  Am i to understand to use the redi-rad you have to use a Walk man or an  i pod  thats soul power is batteries .  does anybody  know of a  12 volt unit AM / FM  with CD player  that has a headphone jack ?  Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Steven ,
  That  MP3 thumbdrive devise  sound to good to be true , but if it works thats all that matters . I just hooked up my redi-rad  . It works terriffic . Easy to hook up However i added an in line fuse . The nice thing about this is you do not have to use your power antenea .  I plugeg in a walkman and the FM played lound and clear . Then i pluged in a i pod and you have any kind of music you want comming thru your original radio using the radio to control the volume. i am very happy with this system . Easy and Simple and works great .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

cadelec

hi
i have an fm converter that came out in the 70s here in australia it is a tuner that picks up fm stations and converts it to am then retransmits it you then tune your am radio to a spare frequency and here fm thru your am radio as these are period items they dont look out of place in your old car here is a link to a similar one the brand i had was branded by kmart this one looks the same but is branded audiovox by the way i am in australia so the kmart reference may not work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDIOVOX-FM-CONVERTER-MODEL-FMC-1C-Early-1970s-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35b39a2f84QQitemZ230646493060QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo
CLC# 25054
Trevor Pordage
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1958 Eldorado Brougham #656
1950 Series 62 Sedan