News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tie rod end replacement -"to be or not to be"-57 Cadillac

Started by kentucky_cad, July 02, 2011, 09:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentucky_cad

Caddy Nation,

Intersted in your guidance regarding tie rod end replacement...

I am in the process of a complete frame off restoration of a 1957 series "60 special". I have taken of the tie rods mechanism (disconnected from the power steering mechanism, etc.

The tie rods are in-tact as is the steering pitman arm (connection to gear box).  After a thorough degreasing , I have inspected the parts and all looks solid.

As I do not know much about the steering components, the question is:

Do I return the used tie rod ends to service (i.e. use them until they do not function/break, etc) or do I bear the expense and take the opportunity to replace them now.  Ultimately the question is, do tie rods ends steadily wear out...or does a new tie rod end have just a much chance of failure as a used part?

Same question applies to the pittman arm and steering knuckles (spindles).

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter...

Brian
Brian Kessans

Dave Shepherd

The normal procedure is to check these components for wear or play, if ok they can be reused, new is always better if they are quality parts, the idler arm was the most wear prone part or the end adjustments in the linkage, refer to a oe shop manual for the proper procedures here.