News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 1958 rear bumper ends

Started by John Maglia CLC#23063, July 04, 2011, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Maglia CLC#23063

I have a re-chromed set of bumper ends for a 57 or 58 Caddy but one of the ends is missing the inside bracket that holds the exhaust pipe in place. My question is "is the bracket missing or could this be for a 58 Caddy that does not have the exhaust running through the bumper end like on the 57"

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John Maglia
John Maglia

Coupedeville

John,

On my 57 it is quite clear where the exhaust would fit through the fins. If you look closely at the fins you will see an obvious curve to the upper & lower fin where the exhaust would pass through,
Hope this helps, if you need a piccy let me know.

Joe Hunt
Joe Hunt

John Maglia CLC#23063

Thanks Joe for your reply. Inside the bumper end on my 57 there is a bracket that holds the exhaust pipe in place before it reaches the fins. This bracket mounts to the inside of the bumper end at the top and bottom. On one of my bumper ends this bracket is missing and I was wondering if on the 58 year Cadillac they even had this bracket because the exhaust was turned down before it got to the bumper end. I guess this could best be answered by someone that owns a 58 Cad.

Thanks

John Maglia
John Maglia

elevatordad

I dont know if this helps any but my '58 Coupe deVille has a chrome plate behind the fins and wont allow the exhaust to route through. Not sure if the other '58 models are able to run through the bumper ends.
1958 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1972 Pontiac LeMans Luxury-Sold
2009 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200C
2007 Mazda 3 Hatch
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road Edition

TonyZappone #2624

My '58 convertible was built on the last days of '58 production.  There never was provision for the tailpipe to go through the bumper end.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

John Maglia CLC#23063

Thanks Tony. Can you tell me how the decorative exhaust fin assembly is attached to the bumper end on your 58? is there a couple of screws that mount it to a bracket in the bumper end?  If so, can you describe this bracket? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John Maglia

John Maglia

TonyZappone #2624

John:  I am sorry, that car is in Florida.  I have no way of checking that out for you.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Steve Lachowetz (No. 25332)

John,

On my '58 sedan the exhaust brackets are welded into the bumper end (though not used) and the fin assembly fits in and is screwed into that bracket.

Steve
My58Caddy.com

Steve Lachowetz (25332)

John Maglia CLC#23063

Thanks Steve. That's exactly what I needed to know. Apparently the 57 and 58 use the same bumper ends and although, as you pointed out, the bracket is not used on the 58 to hold the tailpipe in place, it is used to mount the fin assembly. On my 57 I want to divert the exhaust (like on the 58) instead of putting it through the fins. It is much cleaner this way. On the one bumper end that is missing the inside bracket, I think I can make a little bracket that can hold the (58 style) fin assembly in place.

Thanks for your time in taking the photos and responding to my inquiry.

Regards,

John Maglia
John Maglia