News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 deville convertible need help

Started by richie, July 05, 2011, 07:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie

does anyone know if the rochester carb from a 1969 deville will work on a 1970 deville without too much fabrication.  also, the two metal rods that go from the middle of the engine bay, one goes to the left fender, the other to the right. does anyone know what they do?  they are missing on my car(along with other things).  my fenders are gapped unevenly, do these rods keep the adjustments even?  thanx for all your help.  rich erskine clc 24744 richerskine@aol.com
rich erskine clc#24744

cadillactim

Yes, a 69 carb will work on your 70 with no problem.  The transmission kickdown switch is different, so you may have to swap the throttle rod plate that screws on the side of the carb to accomodate the different switch.

Those inner fender rods were not used on convertibles, that's why they're not there.

Tim
Tim Groves

76eldo

Tim,

I think you are right about that.  Actually, Richie was at my house on Saturday picking up a set of rims I had for his '70 DeVille.  We were discussing the underhood rods, and i didn't remember having them on my 70 convertible, which i had a long time ago.

Seems backwards, since you would think that convertibles would need more support, not less support.  I guess a parts manual would clear up that mystery.

Regarding the carbs, I have three "mystery" carbs that belonged to a 69 DeVille owner that was a real tinkerer and was always trying out different carb options.  I have 3 decent looking carbs but cannot find any numbers on them, and I don't know exactly what they fit.  These are three photos of the different carbs:

I have photos of these from all sides if anyone can ID these for me.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

No numbers stamped in the main body?  Seen some that were hard to read but they were there.

Cadillacs had the fuel inlet sideways because of the location of the AC compressor so 1 and 3 are not Cads.

#2 has that odd vent thing I have only seen 1 time, thinking it was that odd 75 carb which would fit because of the electric choke.
Has it got a metal plug in that little cone that rises up in the front like the one in my pic?   The one in my picture has 6 jets in it.  Its got the altitude thing plus some sort of a part throttle jet.   They are the only carbs I have ever seen with that extra vent valve thing in them.  All the kits come with those parts so I always wondered if they ever made a carb that used em.    Must be a magic carb, I could get 20 mpg in the 75 eldo. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason