News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 Hood adjustments

Started by TJ Hopland, July 05, 2011, 11:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Seems like it has been mentioned before but I did not find any specifics.    I had the hinges rebuilt a few years ago and it got better but now I am trying to get a few things better and getting the hood to pull down better at the windshield is on the list.

Anyone got any specifics or tips on how they got theirs better adjusted?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ,
This is a "trick" that I just learned. It is counter intuitive, but if the hinge is good and installed correctly, and does not go down enough at the rear the procedure is as follows;
1. taking one side at a time, loosen the three bolts that attach the hinge to the lower bracket that attaches to the fender.
2. Raise the hood up as far as you can (that means force it up and prop it up in that position while you tighten the bolts you loosened in #1.
That's it. Repeat as necessary.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Thanks for the tip. That does sound counter intuitive but sounds like it could work since you have gravity pushing them down so they likely end up down.   Will have to try that out next time I am out at my storage place where the engine hoist is.  That hood is too dang heavy to try and lift or prop by hand.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

That helped a lot.  It brought the back side down nicely but now I have to work on the door because it hits and knocked off a bunch of paint.    I can see evidence that they were close to where I have them now when the car got painted but they were set much lower.  It must have been the body shop that lowered them thinking it would lower the hood.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV