News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 Rear Fender Spears

Started by Coupedeville, July 06, 2011, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupedeville

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for advice/help again.

The rear fender spears ( i think that's what they are called) on my 57 cdv do not appear to be in the greatest of shape. The Driver side bottom section appears to be sitting low which is exposing some large cut outs along the top of the section. My questions regarding this are.. Why is it sitting low and are the cut outs correct or has someone butchered this?
On the passenger side it appears that at some point someone has decided the best way to attach the trim to the car is by screwing or pinning it. My question regarding this is.. is this repairable?

I've attached some pics to help you understand as i'm not sure i've described it very well!!
Joe Hunt

Coupedeville

First pic is actually driver side and pic below is pas side
Joe Hunt

David King (kz78hy)

Joe,

I believe the notches are where the molding on top has fasteners and these are the location of them.  My Brougham does not have these moldings, but I have one or two that were mixed in with some parts I bought awhile ago.  Your molding is lower than it should be as it should be tucked up under the top one and that would hide the notch.  The one w/a hole looks damaged, probably from when someone attempted to remove it not knowing how and that was the one that taught him/her.

My 2 cents
David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Coupedeville

Thanks David,

Who ever took these off before has badly damaged both sides but the pas side is the worst as it has the holes. I don't know whether this type of damage is repairable, the other damage appears to be caused by excessive hitting with a hammer but this could possibly be repaired.
I note you said you had 1 or 2 of these, do you still have them and if so would you be prepared to sell them?
Joe Hunt

David King (kz78hy)

Joe,

Mine are not perfect and are for a 4 door.
So I don't think they are for you, but if  you want them, let me know.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Coupedeville

Hello David,

Thanks but i don't think they'll look too good on a coupe! :-\

I think i know the answer to this but i'll ask anyhow....Are the 58 spears the same as the 57?

Joe Hunt