News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 Antenna Repair help request by Lars

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, July 07, 2011, 07:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I cannot see Eric Qs pictures of his vacuum antenna repairs. If Eric is still out there, maybe you can help me to open the pictures some other way? I am trying to get my vacuum antenna going in my 1949 series 62. The electrical connection between terminal and the antenna is broken. I am reluctant to apply to much force to take apart the aluminium tube from the bakelit part at the top to see how the connection is done inside.
Would be great to have the radio working before I go to the worlds largest car meeting, Power Big Meet, over 20.000 US cars, in Västerås, Sweden tonight. Best regards, Lars

Lars. Are you saying your antenna cable contact inside the hole is broken off where the cable screws into ? I can't see anyway you can fix it if so, unless you replace the upper section. I have no use for the 50 head if you'd like it ? When I first inquired with Wojack back in 87, he made a special puller to remove the top head.

Jeffo

First picture is a 48 mast head and a 50 mast cut away, showing the innards.

2nd picture shows the antenna lead into the mast.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's a picture of my oem leather seals/clear plastic bottom pistons. When I opened up the 1950 tube, I found white pistons and a "rubber" seal much to my suprise . When I tried installing the rubber seal in my tube, the bottom piston broke pulling it up, so I glued it back together with epoxy. So it appears they switched over to a rubber piston seal in 1950, as the antenna had never been apart. 

Note the upper air fitting screws into the upper bushing.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500