News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1994 Fleetwood radio upgrade ?

Started by Doc Torman, July 08, 2011, 12:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Torman

Hi I am the new proud owner of my sixth Cad. I bought a relatively pristine 1994 Fleetwood Brougham last week. The only thing I would like to change is the radio - - I would like something that will play my cd's. I would like a newer/different radio that will fit in the existing space in my dash - - - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  = =  One other minor problem - I have just put 65 miles on a full tank of gas and the gauge has not changed... is it broken ??? It was working when I bought the car and this is the first time I have filled the tank - - again any thoughts are greatly appreciated...... Thanks for all responses !!!
Doc Torman
CLC#17468

1994 Fleetwood Brougham  (currently)

okccadman

The easiest swap is to the factory 1993-1995 AM/FM/CD unit.  Its an easy swap,  no wiring changes needed.  1996 will not work.

My 90-96 RWD Cadillac fuel guages stay on full forever before dropping (up to 100 miles).  I never trust those guages when they get below 1/4 though.  Ive had several that run out with still 2or 3 bars showing.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

TMoore - NTCLC

My 94 Fleetwood is exactly the same - you are likely to get 75 to 100 miles before the first bar comes off on a full tank, but watch out when you get to the last quarter of the tank.  Not only do the last few bars seem to disappear quickly, but I honestly believe that the car can be out of gas before I get to the last bar.  I have put over 22 gallons of gas into my car when it still had bars showing on the gauge.

I can't give too much advice on the radio, but I suspect that a 1995 or 1996 radio from another Fleetwood that has the CD option should be easy enough to exchange into your car.  If you decide to go aftermarket, I often see dash plates for the Fleetwood on E-bay that will convert the opening into a standard size for aftermarket stereos.

You have purchased what I think is one of the best traditional Cadillacs ever put on the road. 

Enjoy

Doc Torman

Thanks for the responses guys  - - - I am watching the gas gauge carefully and I think I am getting the hang of it..... as for the radio, I decided to go aftermarket and just "suck it up". I wanted to put a Cad radio but the Alpine works well and I have sorta gotten past the way it looks.  and to TMoore - -your  right  - I am sure this is the best Cad I have ever owned  - -I absolutely love it.... The purchase of this car was two years in the making !!!  Thanks again for the input !!!
Doc Torman
CLC#17468

1994 Fleetwood Brougham  (currently)

Walter Youshock

Go aftermarket for now but try to find the factory cd/cassette radio.  I installed one in my '91 Brougham along with the door speakers and WOW!!!  It's like a concert hall.

The '93 and up are far easier to find than the first generation.  I have a parts '93 cd/cassette somewhere I may never use.  They don't interchange...

I sent the amp and control head to Dr. Don's in Texas and they did a great job of rebuilding it. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Bryant #19358

Nothing to do with the radio problem, but I believe your fuel gauge problems may be traced to some form of corrosion on the silver fuel level sensor on your in-tank fuels pumps. FI cars only. I have had similar experience on my now sold 1996 Dodge Dakota. Mainly cheap gas. Switched to different supplier after 4th pump replacement. Problem never returned thanks to the dealer's pleading with me. In fact my fuel level indication in the dash failed completely each time. No gauge replacement necessary.

HTH.

Chris Bryant

Jason Edge

I upgraded my 1995 Fleetwood Brougham that came without the CD unit to an am/fm/cd unit. I believe 1994 & 1995 were the same. It was a direct swap using the shop manual to make sure I knew exactly how to remove. 
Our local LKQ salvage yard found one in at another salvage site and had one shipped over within a couple days. At this point I'd rather have a mp3 1/8 stereo jacks on the car as I would the cd player. On my 02 Escalade with am/fm/cassette I use the cassette adaptor plugged into my portable music devices and rarely use the cd changer at this point. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic