News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 390 intake milling

Started by CaddyShackPA, July 08, 2011, 09:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddyShackPA

Working on a '63 390 with chronic exhaust leaks at the intake manifold. Measuring the loose intake with straight edge and feeler gauges, the exhaust mating surface is .012 high on the driver side and about .008 high on the passenger side compared to the intake port sections. I presume some of that is pulled down by the bolts (?), but how much is prudent to remove from the intakes on these engines? We don't want to create other problems by resurfacing too heavily.

Thanks very much for your insight!
J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

Dave Shepherd

I assume you have laid the manifold on the engine, no gaskets and performed this measurement? If so I can't see how this would be an issue if the proper gasket is used, if you mill the manifold to fit flush to the head you may misalign the bolt holes, of course they can be bored out slightly to restore the alignment.