News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 7533X door locks

Started by Kurt Kjelgaard, July 09, 2011, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt Kjelgaard

Hi,

The 1957 4-door sedans only have key locks on the front doors - rear door outside pushbuttons are blank.
This is true also for the 7523X limo, the one without the divider glass.

The 7533X, however, came with an outside door lock on the rear, right door, none on the left.

Anybody know if the right, rear door is locked/unlocked by the same key as the front doors,
or is there a separate key for the rear door?

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

J Kjerrulf

Doesn't help much but on the 1951 7533X (divider) I sometimes get to drive/ride - it is not the octagonal key to the right rear door, it's the round key. Can't say for sure if this is 100% correct.

//JKF
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Kurt Kjelgaard

Hi JFK (and others, of course),
The round(ed) key is supposed to be for the glove compartment and the trunk,
whereas the octagonal key should be for the doors and the ignition switch.
The key blanks are identical, except for the head shapes - maybe the one you
are talking about is a copy, just with a rounded head.
Does it work in the front doors?
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

Glen

It is my understanding that the cars with the divider window have a third key for the back door.  I don’t know what shape the key head is.  The purpose for this is so the owner can lock the back and the driver can not get in. 

Check the owner’s manual. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Kurt Kjelgaard

Already checked the owners manual - not much in there about the limos
and nothing about rear door locks. Your explanation, however, sounds plausible.
If the keys heads should follow a certain, it would be logical that the rear door key
is octagonal.
Thanks,
Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

Warren Rauch #4286

The logical place to find this type of information is the owners  manual.Not this time. In fact I checked 1957 owners, data book, shop and optional info books , nothing. I did find in the 1964 optional spec book that the glove box key was used that year for the 7533 right rear door. The earlier post said the round key( glove box) was used in the early 50s , since this is the type of thing that need not change , it probably didn't.Warren

Kurt Kjelgaard

Thanks, Warren - it is most likely the same for the 57 - no reason to change philosophy.

By the way, I've been thinking a bit about the reason for an outside door lock in the rear compartment.
Maybe it was for the "owners" to have their own key for the rear, but I think there is a more logical explanation.

As the doors will lock when closed with the door lock buttons down you would not be able to get into
the rear if the divider window is up. You can only lower and raise the divider from the rear compartment.
Therefore there is a risk of locking yourself out of the rear compartment by accident
and only a key from the outside will save your day:-)

Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671

Whit Otis, 1188

It is my understanding that cars intended to be chauffeur driven (with division glass) were provided the rear door curbside lock with a different key as mentioned above.... only the owner had access.  My 1940 Formal Sedan is set up this way as well.  Don't know how long ago the practice started, but probably with the advent of chauffeur driven vehicles replacing carriages, but someone more schooled in automotive history at the turn of the century would have more reliable info than I.

Whit
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Kurt Kjelgaard

Sounds good, but why would the key be the same as for the trunk and glovebox?
Which it is on my car, although the key is a replica. Warren confirms this for the -64 limo.
The owner wouldn't use the glovebox in the front, or???
Kurt Kjelgaard
CLC #23671