News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

58 Oil Pressure sending unit wiring circuit

Started by David King (kz78hy), July 09, 2011, 10:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David King (kz78hy)

My oil pressure light has started coming on during my reassembly of the car this summer.  On the Brougham, I have 2 sending units, one is a gauge and the other is a low pressure light.  I have good oil pressure on the gauge and the light came on and remained on while sorting out the other sending unit.

The light stays lit whether it is plugged to the sender or not and the engine running.  According to the manual, I think I have shorted the circuit somewhere and am looking to confirm.  With a  multimeter, I have continuity through the circuit with it connected to ground and the other lead attached to the unplugged terminal that connects to the sender.   The battery is disconnected.

When the lamp is removed from the socket in the I/P cluster, the continuity is broken.  So far, I can't find a obvious damage spot where I broke into the wire and tracing the harness is going to be a very hard thing to do, so I want to make sure this the problem before attempting.

Thanks for any ideas.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Kurt Kjelgaard

Hi,

Try this - it might work..
It should be possible to find the point where the wire is shorted as long as
you can follow the wire with no need to open the insulation.
Run a compass needle (borrow somebodys boyscout compass) along the wire/harness
from the sender - when you reach the point where the wire is shorted an indication
on the needle should show up. The wire carrying a current from this point
creates a magnetic field, on which the compass needle should act.
It's worth a try.

Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

Kurt Kjelgaard

Ooops - forgot to say that there must be power on the wire to make this work
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671