News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Voltage Regulator

Started by Steve Rinaldo, July 13, 2011, 05:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

It seems that the charging system on my 1937 60 series has quit working. It is a 6 volt Positive Ground. Does anyone where to get a regulator? Is there a difference between a Positive and a Negative Regulator or any anything else I need to about the system. Thanks Steve

Dave Shepherd

You need to check the gen out put, if you ground the field wire at the gen, you should get full voltage out put tested with a voltmeter, if not more than likely the reg is bad, Rockauto may have them or Napa, yes the reg. has to be specific for the car and pos. gd.

Warren Rauch #4286

This car had a 5 terminal regulator from the factory.These were serviced by Delco with 3 terminal regulators starting about 1940. If you do have the factory type you may want to have it rebuilt  or at least use the box. Warren

Tom Beaver

Steve, You may want to check out:

Wilton Auto Electric
         10 Stoney Brook Drive
         Wilton N.H. 03086-5151
                           603-654-9852
                           www.wiltonae.com
         bob@wiltonae.com

I had him convert the old regulator for my 38 LaSalle to solid state, it did not require any generator modifications and from the outside looks original.  The regulator is 6v pos ground and works great.

Tom Beaver

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

If you still have your 5 post voltage regulator this is the guy who is amazing. He did a couple for me and they work wonderful.

http://acewichita.com/06_vintage.htm

Now if you have the replacement 3 terminal voltage regulator, call Bruce Berghoff he has NOS ones.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series