News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

the thermometer on my 73 eldorado......

Started by Terry Cox #26379, July 14, 2011, 08:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Cox #26379

is the thermometer on my driver side mirror suppose to illuminate at night?. i cannot find any info. for a fuse or such in my owner's manual. just killing all bugs i find...one at a time ..i'll get this car  as it is supposed to be. (one day)T. Bryan Cox 8)

Barry Norman

Not sure about the '73, but my '76 does and is illuminated by a fiber optic cable.
Barry Norman

TJ Hopland

My 73 has the thermometer also but I dont think I have ever seen it lit.  You got me wondering if its supposed to.  I will have to go look later.

In 80 it was a fiber optic.   In an 80 the light for it was under the dash.   The lamp socket end is just like a side marker lamp where its a rubber plastic like socket with a couple wires hanging out of it.  It then locks into a round tube looking thing that has the single fiber coming out the end that then disappears into the rest of the wires under the dash.   Sort of looks like an inline fuse or some other wiring device. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Mine doesn't work either.  I was thinking about putting a tiny LED in there.  If I do, I'll post the process and take photos.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Terry Cox #26379

thanks for the reply. sounds like t.j. and i will be removing a driver side door panel sometime in the not so distant future. thanks for the helpon this subject.now it is time  to r & r a ball joint real soon. :P :'( 8)

TJ Hopland

Do we know for sure 73 has it?    Where in the door?   I noticed the lights on the inside of my drivers door are not working either.  Then there is the power locks that have never worked since I owned the car, they buzz and dim the lights but dont physically move.   Could do with some door and window alignment while I am there.....

For some reason I have never had trouble removing ball joints on Eldos.   Not sure why but they always seem to come off fairly easily.  Cant say the same for other cars, some can be very stubborn.  The tough part on the eldo is getting the axle nut off.   If you can get that loose you are at least 1/2 way there.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jagbuxx #12944

The illuminated thermometer was first fitted in 76 for sure, possibly in 75. The illumination is via a fiber optic in the drivers door. The identifying feature is the non illuminated thermometer has a black dial with white numerals. The illuminated dial is reversed, white with black numers.

Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

R Schroeder

I thought I read some where in one of the postings from the past , that if it came from the factory , it was lit.
If it was dealer installed it wasn't, due to the fiber optics involved.
My 78 is not lit, but I don't know when it was installed either. It has the white dial with the black letters.
I'll have to look in my wiring diagrams.
Roy

R Schroeder

Looked through all my wiring books for the car and found nothing.
All I did find was the section on the fiber optics  for the front and rear lights.
When I went to my parts book I found they call all mirrors with a thermometer in them as having a light, or fiber optic light.  D66 code. Listed in book like this; C,D,W / REM ILLUM THERMO .This is from 76 to 81 now. I don't have any manuals for 73.
Roy