News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Clock on a 1947 6269 series

Started by Martin Michaels, July 15, 2011, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Hello again, another perfect day for wrenching. I started wondering why the clock and glove box light don't work. I tested the bulbs there' all good. I have power to the clock. The terminal on the left is the ground the right terminal is hot.(see picture) The bulb for the glove box has the hot lead on the bottom and the outside is ground,nothing is working.My questions:
1) How does the glove box light turn on and off making and breaking ground?
2)The two bulbs on the clock  are they supposed to work off the ignition switch?
As always thanks.      M Michaels
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Martin Michaels

More pictures of clock
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Martin Michaels on July 15, 2011, 09:09:52 PMThe terminal on the left is the ground the right terminal is hot.(see picture)
Battery on your car is negative grounded, right ?

I guess the clock right-side terminal on your picture [left-side terminal, if seen from passenger seat when clock is mounted] should be ground (negative) as it is marked "GR".
Clock left-side terminal should be positive (hot), with the second lead on this terminal feeding glove box switch and light.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your car ?
1952 60 Special in France.

Martin Michaels

Philippe, Thanks for answering, right after i posted it i realized i turned it around and said everything a--backwards i do have a wiring diagram and  i will study it. M. Michaels
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green

Philippe M. Ruel

Alright Martin :)

Possible answers to your questions
Quote from: Martin Michaels on July 15, 2011, 09:09:52 PM1) How does the glove box light turn on and off making and breaking ground?
The second wire on clock "hot" terminal feeeds glove box light switch (the one that closes when glove box door is opened) and bulb. All this is fed directlly by the battery through a fuse, together with door jamb light switches and bulbs.

Quote from: Martin Michaels on July 15, 2011, 09:09:52 PM2)The two bulbs on the clock  are they supposed to work off the ignition switch?
[unsure about what you mean by "work off"]They are fed by the parking light switch, together with instrument panel lights. Like parking lights, they should light up whether ignition switch is ON or OFF.
1952 60 Special in France.

Martin Michaels

Thanks again Philippi, That makes sense clock light working of ignition and lights. I see my other problem where a switch should be in the glove box someone has rep[aced it with a screw. Thanks for the info. Marty
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green