News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac - Steering Pump Whine

Started by Dan Eckstein, July 15, 2011, 09:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Eckstein

I am restoring a 1959 Cadillac and I have a steering pump whine.  I have not had the steering pump rebuilt and do not know if it had worked before.  What I noticed is the steering pump works fine when cold but after I drive the car for 15 mins the steering pump begins to whine.  I have checked the fluid and it is full.  Not sure how to fix it.  Any thought would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

Roger Zimmermann

The pump on my '56 did the same years ago. It was disturbing, but I did nothing. I have the impression that the noise disappears with the time.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan Eckstein

How hard is it to rebuild a steering pump?  Do you need any special tools or press?
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850

walt chomosh #23510

Dan,
  My 1955CDV power steering pump started to whine so I bought some additive which cured the noise for a while.....so,when the whine returned, a trip to NAPA resulted in a power steering pump seal purchase.(it was the only part in their listing for my model year) I don't recall any special tools required for teardown/assembly,but I do remember clocking of parts as being critical. Problem solved(noise gone) 4-5 years ago!(my car is a driver)The seal was cheap and was all that I needed other then a couple of gaskets(resovoir to housing) which I made....walt..tulsa,ok

Dan Eckstein

Thanks Walt!  I think I will attempt to replace the seals and see how that goes.  Appreciate the responses!
Thank you for your time,
Dan Eckstein
CLC #24850