News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust brackets/hangers 1954 CDV

Started by rag4rdd, July 18, 2011, 01:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rag4rdd

Hey everyone.  I just started working on the beast and am putting in th exhaust pipes/mufflers/resonators.  Most of the old ones were already cut out with some of the brackets left in place. A little clarification would be great.
1.  The bracket / clip in the rear bumper is a bit perplexing.  An "L" bracket before it goes thru to exit?  I think there is a rubber strap that bolts to this  and to the pipe?
2.  Is the muffler suppose to ride on the frame?  There are pads that are mounted and somewhat partially melted.
3.  It seems there is also suppose to be a bracket mount for the 1st piece off of the manifold...which I can probably make.
4.  Where can I get some of these parts?
5.  I have a universal hanger holding it up.
I know there is suppose to be room for movement for heat expansion....but how much?

If anyone has some pics it would be great.  Or some pearls of wisdom.

Regards,
Robert Greer
Sacramento, CA
RAGreer
CLC# 26758
54 Coupe de Ville (work in progress)

Roger Zimmermann

Robert, I don't have the answer to all your questions; somewhere on the frame there is a rubber pad (each side) held with a steel strap on which the long muffler is resting.
At the rear, the outlet tubes are going into a tire's carcass with a large hole. And yes, there is expansion at this point. It is important that you have a steel plate at the bottom of the rubber to allow the exhaust tubes to slide on it. I discard that piece of metal on my '56 de Ville and the tubes could not move. The result: the mufflers were badly deformed...

Good luck,

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101