News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Heater hose shutoff valves, '40 LaSalle

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], July 18, 2011, 08:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

As you read this, my '40 has a pair of small shutoff valves for the lines to/from the heater.  From all I can tell, these are angle valves with a male pipe thread on one port, and (I believe; not sure!) a tube stub on the other port, at right angles to the male pipe port.  (There's a female port in the cylinder head on the passenger side in which one of these valves is installed, and a similar female port on the intake to the radiator where the other is installed.)

I recall that the manufacturer has a name something like "Wilco", but I can't find any markings on the valves to confirm this.  Can anyone confirm/correct this, and tell me who sells these, please?

And while I'm at it, the male pipe threads appear to be ¼" pipe.  This is particularly important should I choose to modify the cooling system hose configuration similarly to what Walt Brewer suggested in his column a number of years ago.

Thanks very much.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Don Boshara #594

I got mine from the local NAPA store several years ago. I only installed one at the radiator neck cause I haven't figured out why two would be needed, although two could be correct.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

Jim Stamper

I bought one shutoff from Chevy's of the Fortys or Fifty's, I think they are called and the other from my local Napa store.

My reasoning for two shutoffs is so in the event of a hose or heater core leak the coolant can be completely shut off from the heater system. One reason anyway.

Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Jim Beard

What is the modification to the cooling system hose configuration that Walt Brewer had suggested? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

John Barry [CLC17027]

I don't have the pertinent issue of The Self-Starter in front of me, but Mr. Brewer called for a jumper hose from the rear port head on the rear of the driver's side (i.e., the port that normally gets the temperature sending unit) to the corresponding port on the passenger side.  I do recall that in the article, he (Brewer) mentioned that he did that to his '41 Cadillac, and that in a somewhat lengthy test under mid-summer parade conditions in the Denver area, the engine temperature did not exceed ~185°F. 

It doesn't seem like it would be too involved, in my opinion: a couple of galvanized ¼" pipe tees, a pair of close nipples, a pair of short nipples, some hose, and a few clamps (the tees would accommodate the temperature sending unit and a heater valve).
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The NAPA part number for this valve is 660-1402.  I think it is 3/8" NPT.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jim Beard

Sounds like a good modification if the motor is running hot.