News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Series 61 Rear Shocks Fluid

Started by lou-q, July 18, 2011, 02:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

It seems like my right rear is bottoming out and making knocking noises.  I read the shop manual, and it explains how to check the shock absorber fluid level and how to bleed.  What type of fluid should I use?   Can I use the hydraulic oil that I use in my tractor (ISO68).

Thanks,  Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

markl

Lou,
If you look back at a thread that started July 23rd or 25th, 2008 (Technical and Authenticity), you will see that both hydraulic jack oil and Motorcycle shock absorber oil were suggested as alternatives.  But if the oil is low, and you are hearing a knocking noise, I think you are beyond the point of fixing this by topping up the oil.  So your next move may be to remove both rear shocks and send them in for re-building.  I would suggest Apple Hydraulics in NY, but there are others out there as well.  Nice folks to deal w/, and perhaps calling their 800 number (882-7753) would elicit a response as far as what they put in their rebuilt units.

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Jay Friedman

Donald McKinsey, Box 94H, Wilkinson, Indiana sells shock absorber fluid or at least he did when I bought a couple of bottles from him some years ago.  As far as I know he doesn't take phone calls or email.  Kanter 800-526-1096 used to sell it too. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

lou-q

Quote from: Jay Friedman on July 19, 2011, 06:32:57 PM
Donald McKinsey, Box 94H, Wilkinson, Indiana sells shock absorber fluid or at least he did when I bought a couple of bottles from him some years ago.  As far as I know he doesn't take phone calls or email.  Kanter 800-526-1096 used to sell it too.
Thanks Mark and Jay,
This car is new to me as is owning an old  Caddy.
I'm having fun working on it. And except the shocks it is similar to early 50's and 60's cars that I've had before.
I sure love the fact that I don't need to be a computer tech to work on it or have an electronic aparatus to tell me what's wrong.
Would having a bad or dead shock absorber make the car sag a little or is it something else. The right side is about 3/4" lower than the left side which is the same side where I think its bottoming out.

Thanks again,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

lou-q

Quote from: markl on July 19, 2011, 03:38:14 PM
Lou,
If you look back at a thread that started July 23rd or 25th, 2008 (Technical and Authenticity), you will see that both hydraulic jack oil and Motorcycle shock absorber oil were suggested as alternatives.  But if the oil is low, and you are hearing a knocking noise, I think you are beyond the point of fixing this by topping up the oil.  So your next move may be to remove both rear shocks and send them in for re-building.  I would suggest Apple Hydraulics in NY, but there are others out there as well.  Nice folks to deal w/, and perhaps calling their 800 number (882-7753) would elicit a response as far as what they put in their rebuilt units.
Mark,
Sent the shocks and links to App;le Hydraulics, they were great people and will have them done by the end of the week.
Thanks again,
Lou
l
Mark Lowery, CLC #25216
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe