News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help! 1967 Eldorado Power Steering

Started by Antoni Deighton, July 19, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoni Deighton

I have a small but annoying problem with the power steering in my '67 Eldorado. The system has no leaks, and while the effort feels 'right', there is a very small but annoying jerkiness or binding to the steering feel. It is so slight that I doubt my wife would notice, but compared to the buttery smoothness of my '78 Fleetwood it's certainly there.
I've considered draining the pump and/or adding Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak, but since the system isn't leaking I've hesitated to do this. I've read on the boards about a double nut on the steering box that may be over-tight, and since the steering feels like it's been overtightened I've wondered whether I need to back this nut off a bit.
So, my question is, does anyone else know what could be the cause of this problem?
If I need to back off the nut, can someone tell me how to do it, and how much to back it off!
Thanks in advance,
Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Terry Cox #26379

antoni, i can only speak from expierence to your problem. i hade the same thing old an old Buick Wildcat i had...very soft , buttery steering. but i had an ever so slight hesitation / jerk (very small..almost just a very small catch)...i did not loose any steering at all, just the slight feel.
the first thing i would look at ,which cured mine, was to replace the power steering pump belt.
i would make very sure you are getting the proper groove belt and it is tightened to the proper tension.
if memory serves me right on this, your Eldorado has just one belt on the power steering pump...?...but anytime there are two belts on any engine driven pulley...ALWAYS replace them in a matched set. matched meaning same mfgr, same appearence, same part #, same DATE dode of manufacture...you can look on the "sleeve" the belt comes in usually on the back side and see a coded date of manufacture along with some other code numerials.
you do not have to understand all the numbers ...just get two belts with all the numbers as close together as possible.
of coarse  there is usually a "time" code that would appear different ...but you might even luck out there. (the "time" code of mfgr. will be in military time..i.e. 19:28 = 7:28 p.m. ect. ect.
again, i know this to be very elementry, but...it worked for my old Buick years ago. (simple stuff first i'm saying...)    keep us posted,,, T. Bryan Cox :-\ 8)

Antoni Deighton

Terry,
That's great. I'll go and get a new belt tomorrow. You're right the Eldorado has just one belt, so I hope it will be a straightforward install. I'll definitely keep you posted,
Thanks,
Antoni

TJ Hopland

My 73 has started doing that also.   I was going to do some experimenting with the fluid.   I know some people swear that there is no difference in ps fluid vs atf but on other cars I have had troubles then looked in the manual and found what they recommended originally and after a few suck out and refill cycles with the recommended fluid all the problems seem to go away.  Im having issues right now with a Ford.  It had what I presume was some sort of ATF in it when I got it, it was black with just the slightest red tinge.  I flushed it out and put in premium universal ps fluid and the thing got all jerky and whiny.   I then read that it required Type F ATF.  Didnt have any handy so I put in universal Dex/Merc and it got a lot better.  Keep forgetting to pick up the Type F to see if that takes care of the rest of the issue.   My 73 has usually had Dextron in it but since it has a slight leak I wonder if I had been refilling it with PS fluid lately?  You would think I could remember something simple like that....
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Again foggy memory, but I remember some Cads had a metal u/flex joint that would bind up slightly every 90 degrees, causing what you describe.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Antoni,
I would check the steering and suspension components carefully. There is a lot going on in the front end of the Eldo, and a little wear will let the components hang up on either each other or the chassis.
The first thing I would check for would be the Pitman arm joint, followed by the drag link, the tye rod ends and don't forget the steering damper.
Worn gear boxes tend to be loose, rather than tight, so IF this were mine I wouldn't "go there" first.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Antoni Deighton

Greg, you could well be right. The front end does need work, but I've been holding off while I try to decide whether to convert to disc brakes. I'll probably change the PS belt over the week, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll wait until going through the front end before chasing anything else...

Dave Shepherd

Normal procedure here is jack it up and turn the wheels by hand, see if you feel any binding.

Antoni Deighton

Dave,
Forgive me for being pedantic, but do you mean rotate the wheels and tires by hand, or turn the steering wheel by hand (I have a tendency to misread and do the wrong thing in these instances!).
The way this symptom feels suggests to me that it happens only when the power-steering pump is under load, and is not related to vehicle speed or wheel rotation.
But I'm happy to try all of the simple remedies, especially if they cost nothing (or nearly nothing!)
Thanks!
Antoni