News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Kickdown Linkage 54 cdv

Started by rag4rdd, July 23, 2011, 06:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rag4rdd

The 54 cdv I inherited has an edelbrock 1406 performance carb on it instead of the original.  It seems that edelbrock does not make a linkage adapter for the caddys that allow the the throttle and kickdown to coincide/function in their proper places.  Any ideas?  Know of someone that fabricates this part or another carb builder that their linkage would fit?

One other side question.  Does the kickdown linkage have anything to do with engaging the transmission?  There is no movement when I shift out of N to D or R.  The previous owner rebuilt the motor and tranny.......and said that everything works.

Yes, I'll probably end up putting in the factory correct carb.
Regards,

RAGreer
RAGreer
CLC# 26758
54 Coupe de Ville (work in progress)

2danreed

Yeah, I'd start by putting on the stock carb. Then position that trans linkage rod about half way along the threaded portion of the rod. The position of the TV rod should make shifting points smooth at the right RPM and driving speeds. If you feel the trans shifting too soon or too late adjust that rod and see how things react. Keep repeating until it feels right. Get yourself a '54 shop manual too - great thing to have around!

Dan
Dan Reed

rag4rdd

Thanks for the tips.  I have the manual but didn't see anything on trouble shooting transmission issues. If the kickdown is not connected to the carb is the transmission suppose engage?  Maybe the tranny fluid is low?
Regards,

RAGreer
CLC# 26758

2danreed

That's a good question. I've never attempted to drive the car (I have a 1956 Series 62 sedan) without that rod attached to the carb. I did do an engine swap on my '64 Cadillac years ago and I remember it took a few road tests to eventually get the shift points where they needed to be by re-positioning the TV rod. 

As I mentioned earlier, I would put a stock carb on your '54 so you can at least get the TV rod hooked up. Certainly check the fluid level and take the car out and see how it shifts. I know fluid level can do funny things - like not going into reverse or not shifting into high gear. fluid level was the culprit in both instances with me. Found out I had a leaking pan gasket and fixed it right away. 

Someone may be able to better answer your question regarding how the transmission would react if the TV rod is not attached.

Dan
Dan Reed

Glen

How the transmission acts with the TV rod disconnected is somewhat unpredictable.

The TV rod moves the TV valve in the transmission which in turn changes the TV oil pressure which then acts on the front pump pressure regulator changing the main line feed pressure. 

If the TV valve is set to low throttle position the speed the transmission shifts will be low and the gear change will be soft.  If the TV valve is set to full throttle the shifts with be delayed and harsh. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Caddy Wizard

You can keep the Edelbrock if you are happy with how it runs.  All you have to do is mimic the geometry of the original linkage on the side of the Carter/Rochester carb that came with the car.  I did this when installing electronic fuel injection using a throttle body.  Just measure the radius (distance) from the center of the throttle shaft to the center of the pivot point for the TV rod in the original linkage.  Then mimic that radius on the Edelbrock.  It also helps to put the new pivot point for the TV rod in the same place on the "clock face" (the same angular position relative to the throttle shaft).  One easy way to do all of this is to get a junk original carb and cut off part of the linkage that the TV rod fits into and just weld that little part onto the Edelbrock linkage. 

I did this on a 49 and it worked out great.  Experienced transmission guys told me I'd never get it right, but it was pretty darned easy.

Here is a picture of the adapter I made and installed on my fuel injection set up...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

rag4rdd

That doesn't seem that hard...and it looks clean.  Did you bend your throttle arm a bit so that it there was room for the two arms?  Mine is straight as an arrow.  Maybe I should start with putting a couple of bends in my throttle arm and see what happens. Then take another tack if that doesn't work.
Thanks for the idea.
RAGreer
CLC# 26758

rag4rdd

Ok, after reading the shop manual and scouring the web universe I found nothing on the kickdown linkage issue.  So, I disconnected the shifter linkage, jacked up and blocked the car.  Started the engine and crawled under the car and shifted at the transmission.  The tranny did not engage unless there was pressure on the kickdown link. 

It was a good day..........I learned something new.  Still working on the set-up at the carb.
RAGreer
CLC# 26758

Glen

The book I have does not show enough to see that.  It does make sense though.  If the throttle valve is spring loaded and with the TV rod disconnected the throttle valve could move to a point that causes the pump regulator to go to zero pressure out.  No pressure no clutches or bands applied. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104