News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

DATA PLATE HELP 78 Cadillac

Started by R Schroeder, July 24, 2011, 01:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

OK, I have a couple of codes I cant find.
I went to this site and used my manuals to figure out most of it.
http://www.rrrclc.org/color_databases/1970-Codes-Rev3.xls
What is in blue are the ones that I cant find.

ST78 6CD47 FWD xxxxxx BDY
TR783     74T   PNT
04D
Accessories;
BLWD

AV7   RV  SFN4

FWD; I know part of it is Detriot
B; I dont find anything for this.
S; This seems to match up with a SUN ROOF, but I dont have a sun roof.

Any help on these would help .
Roy

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Tom,

We've discussed 70's dataplates before and the fact that manufacturing used accessory groups with different codes. Can you shead some light on this for Roy. The information I posted on the referrenced spread sheet is the ordering accesory codes.

Thanks,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Tom Hall 7485

This needs to be treated as an FAQ (frequently asked question).

As far as the 1970s Cadillacs are concerned, I may be the first person in the club to decode the codes on what the Fisher Body manual calls the "the body number plate" or "body identfication plate" and what the shop manual calls the "body name plate."

Many of the Fisher Body Division codes do not correspond to the codes used by Cadillac Division in the 1970s.  What is "S" in the data book/Salesman's Merchandising Guide is not the same as "S" on the body number plate.  To make matters worse, the codes were changed around considerably during the 1970s. 

It is maybe a little overcautious to redact the body number of your car, Mr. Schroeder, as it bears no relation to the VIN.  And I think you omitted the lower body color code from the third line.

The fourth line of the body plate reads  "04D  AV7 RV SFN4
                               The fifth line reads        BLWD

The positions of these are important depending on the year.

FWD is the body plant, "Fleetwood."  They made the majority of 1978 Cadillac bodies, but no Fleetwood 75s.  This tells us the body wasn't made at another plant.  The FWD plant had its own unique set of equipment codes.  Do not hope that Fisher Body Euclid, Linden, South Gate, Lansing or others will help you much for the FWD plant equipment codes, except seats.

You've got a heavily loaded 1978 CDV Cabriolet with opera lamps.  I am envious.

I will not reveal all the codes yet but I will tell you that "S" is very common and has absolutely nothing to do with the roof.  I will also say that "B" is "bigger than a bread box."  ;)

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

R Schroeder

Thank you Tom and Ralph.
Yes the car is loaded up very nice. I like the options and the color of it. I think it was the only year it had that color.

I cant wait for your S and B answers.

On Ralph's list the B was for Custom Biarritz , but I didn't think it had anything to do with my car.

I will check the data plate , but I believe I have all of the codes listed. Maybe not in the order of the data plate, but I think I have them all.
Roy

R Schroeder

This is the info as it appears on the plate.
Now looking for the ones in red.

ST 78 6CD47 FWD 051249 BDY
TR 783  74T  PNT
04D  AV7 RV SNF4
BLWD

Thats all that is on there. My car is all one color, top and bottom.
Roy

Tom Hall 7485

For the 1978 Cadillac salesman, "B" is Eldorado Custom Biarritz option.  For Fisher Body, it's something else.  "B" is found on four-door cars, also.

You'll want to put "R," "F," "N," "L," "W," and "D" in blue ink, too.  They're not the same as in the Salesman's Merchandising Guide.

Attached is a body number plate for another CDV Cabriolet body made within 48 hours of the one on your car. Note that there is a lower body color code, "54."
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

R Schroeder

Well, I have not seen Mr. Hall post in a while.
Has there been any information published that I could purchase, or does anyone know what these codes are on my car.
Still looking .
Thanks Roy

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As Tom noted, FWD refers to Fleetwood body plant.  "51249" means it's the 51249 th Coupe deVille body built.

I just checked the paint code on my 1980 which shows   21    21T. You certain there's no additional 74 on your plate Roy?

Hope this helps.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Here's the broadcast sheet for my '80. It may help answer some of the questions about some of the other codes. It's a Coupe deVille, paint code 21 with cloth interior, bench seat, non-Calif car.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

R Schroeder

Plate reads like posting #4.

ST 78 6CD47 FWD 051249 BDY
TR 783  74T  PNT
04D  AV7 RV SNF4
BLWD