News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 Cad Rear Wheel Bearing Service/Replacement

Started by robert G. smits, July 25, 2011, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert G. smits

My 41 63 series is used for touring and has 55K miles on it.  How do you decide when to service/replace the rear wheel bearings?  Thanks in advance for your input.  Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Bob Schuman

Robert.
Replace your rear wheel bearings. They are sealed prelubricated bearings and cannot be relubricated properly. I know of more than one fire from overheated rear wheel bearings in old Cadillacs, apparently from the old grease becoming hard and failing to lubricate the bearing. It gets hot, and can start a fire when on long tours. If yours have been on the axles for over 10 years, I would not trust them for long drives.

New bearings are available(BCA#88128R, or Carquest#514003), and must be pressed off and on the axle with a press, which any auto machine shop should have. They press off toward the splined end, press on toward the outer end against a small shoulder on the axle. While you are at it, You may want to replace the oil seals in the axle housing. They are National#450274 or Chicado Rawhide#15975.
Bob Schuman,CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

robert G. smits

Thanks Bob.  I just finished re-packing the fronts and the old grease between the ball bearings was solid.  This got me to thinking about the rears.  Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I agree with Bob completely.  Any Cadillac being driven should have these bearings replaced if they have not been done already.  I had a failure in a big series car and depending on how they fail the wheel will start to come away from the housing.  The technology to make these sealed bearings was not very advanced when these cars were new.  Now sealed bearings are everywhere.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Jeff Maltby 4194

When I replaced my oem 49 axle bearings/leather seals, the grease had hardened in chunks, so by all means, replace them.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

robert G. smits

Remember when going to the Box Stores you may get bearings mfg in China.  There have been warnings in Skinned Knuckles about inferior metallurgy in these bearings and reported bearing failures.  Carquest would not guarantee me that the bearings were not of Chinese origin.  I use Olecar Bearing Co (910 693 3324).  They are very knowledgable and do not sell any Chinese or similar bearings.  Bob Smits #2426
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz

Jay Friedman

I second the motion about using Olcar Bearing Company.  Not only does he (George Bachleda) sell quality US-made stuff, his prices are reasonable and he is very knowledgable about all bearings.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."