News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

67-68 Cadillac Instrument Panel Faceplate

Started by Antoni Deighton, August 01, 2011, 07:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoni Deighton

I've just removed the instrument faceplate from my '67 Eldorado. What is the material of the raised numbers for the speedometer and clock indications? Are they just painted white, or is it some kind of tinted/colored plastic? Can it be cleaned?
Also, what is the best way to clean the faceplate? I don't want to damage it, but dust has entered through the holes for the odometer reset stalk and clock setting stalk, and I want to wipe it down before reinstalling.
Thanks,
Antoni
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Antoni Deighton

Okay, I've removed the face plate (and gear selector plate) from the bezel, and they're stamped from a single sheet of steel. So the material is the same for both the background and the raised numbers. Does anyone have any cleaning recommendations?
Also, any recommendations for the background color and letter color in paint. The gear selector has very minor (didn't notice until I took it out) surface rust. But since I've got it out, I should probably refinishing.
I'm guessing the white was originally bright and has yellowed with time, but the background looks more like a graphite color in a satin finish. A good source for the correct colors would be ideal!
Thanks in advance!
Antoni

Rob Troxel

How much trouble was it to remove the gear selector plate? Steps involved? My 68 Eldorado shift plate is pretty well rusted but was able to get clean one from Jeff @ Willington Cad. just haven't tackled the install yet

As for the clock, i believe it is a Borg Warner unit and if you take it apart and clean and oil, it should work<<>>>for awhile. Even to manauls say the clock requires service every two years! If you go to all the trouble, there are quartz movements that can be retro fitted to your clock hands and faceplate that should work alot longer.

Regards,

Rob Troxel

Antoni Deighton

Rob,

The gear selector plate was really easy to remove. Do you have the vehicle service manual (the instrument panels are slightly different)?

First you want to remove the dash panel 'cover'.  There should be a number of screws holding it on in the front (in the glove box and under the instrument panel, and some clips at the back. Lift the cover off, taking care to remove the speaker connection, a/c thermistor and twilight sentinel photocell (if you have it). (You might have other connections as well.)

Remove the lower instrument panel cover (a few screws below the steering column).

You can then start to remove the instrument panel 'cluster' from the dash. Start by removing the transmission shift pointer with an Allen wrench, and disconnecting the wiring harness connector and speedo cable from the back of the cluster. Remove the center a/c duct and the five or so screws that hold the cluster to the dash. (Your '68 may be slightly different). Depending on the options your car came with you may have cruise control, rear defog, seat warmer connections etc to remove.

Loosen the upper left and right bezel to bracket screws. Pull left corner of bezel forward and pull instrument panel cluster up to remove.

With the cluster out, the gear selector plate is held on by a simple semi-circular plastic clip that surrounds the steering column. Release the clip and pull the plate out.

Hope this helps. There are enough differences between the '67 and '68 models on this part of the dash that I'm not sure how much help this will be.

A.

Rob Troxel

Thanks for the great reply.  Look very close to my 68's disassembly process!