News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Running Board Rubber

Started by buicksplus, August 03, 2011, 02:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buicksplus

I am looking for running board rubber for a 37 LaSalle.  These used to be offered by Steele, but apparently they are no longer available.

Anyone know of sources for these? 

I was wondering about casting some with polyurethane, using a wooden mold.  Anyone know if that's possible and if so, what sources there for the polyurethane.  Is polyurethane durable enough for running board covers?

Lots of questions, any help appreciated...

Bill.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

Paul Tesone

Bill - google "vintage running boards" and click on that title . The homepage shows the company's name as" Running Board Rubber Company " with a telephone # 403-578-4515 . They actually show a sample of a 37 LaSalle running board . I know nothing about the company or the production process , but their photos look good . I was going to use them to buy running boards for my 37 Caddy , but it turned out that mine were in better shape than I thought ; so I never did make contact with the company . If you talk to them , I would be interested in what you find out . Good luck . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

buicksplus

Thanks for that lead Paul, I will follow up on that. 

I think that's a very interesting process, the results sure look good.  I think this company used to be in Canada, I contacted them a few years back.  But I think they got into some financial trouble a few years ago and sort of disappeared.  Hopefully someone will have feedback on the company as it currently is.

About 20 Years ago I send my Buick 90 series boards some fellow in the SE and he cast beautiful rubber onto my boards.  They were outstanding to look at and were very durable too.  I would like to find that source too.

Bill.
Bill Sullivan CLC# 12700

tozerco

Bill,

I copied this from an Old Cars Weekly article a few months back. Thought I would get around to it some day:

I got my fingers crossed it posts correctly!

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533