News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Battery/Starter Issue (I think)

Started by Rick Biarritz, August 11, 2011, 08:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

A general car question. You turn the key and you get the rapid click, click, click, but no cranking. The battery is showing 12.8 volts. If I recall correctly, this means the battery is sending juice to the starter solenoid, (the clicking I hear is the solenoid, right?) but the starter is not engaging because it is (a) faulty, or (b) a bad connection? Yes/no?

Thanks.

J. Gomez

Rick,

The voltage is not the key element to identify the battery condition fro this particular situation, the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) is the key item, if the capacity of the battery is low you will get the click, click sound.

Do a load test on the battery to check the capacity, any auto parts store would be able to test it for you in and/or out of the vehicle.

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Rick Biarritz

I tested it while cranking and it dropped to 6.5 volts. Bad sign, right?

J. Gomez

Rick,

I’m afraid it is,  :( but just to be sure have it load test…!!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

RobW

Charge the battery first. Then do the load test. Could be the battery is OK. Might have a parasitic drain on the electrical system. I'm thinking you probably don't drive this car everyday, right? So with things that have a constant draw on the battery like the ECM, clock, radio presets, etc. it might be enough to discharge the battery.
Rob Wirsing

Raymond919

Everytime I've experienced that down through the years, I've always checked my electrical connections, especially if the battery was good the day or week before.  Disconnect the battery and clean and re-attach the cables at the battery.
When that failed for me once, I disconnected the negative cable then loosened, cleaned, and re-attached the connections where the cable connects to the starter and solenoid. Don't forget to clean the connection between the starter motor and solenoid itself. Unless the battery was almost dead, it's never been anything else for me. Try the easy stuff first. Good luck.
Ray Schuman

TJ Hopland

Are you getting a single click every time you turn the key or multiple clicks if you hold the key on?   

If its a single click its the part of the solenoid that makes the electrical contact getting a bit cruddy and not making good contact if you happen to have the gear on the starter hit square on a tooth on the ring gear.  Normally it makes the electrical contact about the same time so the gear begins to turn and drops in all at the same time and there is then more spring pressure on the contacts so it usually works.   I have had many cars with that problem.  Usually if you just keep clicking the key eventually you will get enough contact that it sort of burns through the crud and works.

IF its multiple clicks and your battery is good then you have to start closely checking your battery cables and connections. Multiple clicks is not enough voltage getting to the solenoid to pull it all the way in.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason