News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Washer Bottle

Started by Martin Michaels, August 16, 2011, 10:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Hello all, I have to pull my heads off and need to remove the washer bottle it is stuck on and I cannot budge it. After you take the straps off does it screw off ? I guess I can remove the whole unit but I would like to be able to remove it thanks for any help.    Marty Michaels.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Marty...If the cap shows threads...it screws off, if not, it is a compression fit. Regardless, you would be safer by removing the complete lid and pump assembly. Then remove the pump; invert the bottle; and soak the lid and bottle top with some tile cleaner or strong detergent.  Water impurities &/or anti-freeze has probably bonded the glass to the gasket and metal cap . bb

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Hello again Marty...On closer inspection, it looks as if you might also have a PAINT BOND ! It looks like someone might have sprayed your firewall and layed a nice coat of overspray on your washer bottle and lid ? After you remove the whole assembly from your car you might have to use some paint remover to soften up that bond before you attempt a twist ? bb

Martin Michaels

Thanks Bruce I'll pull the whole thing off Saturday.Bruce the car I'm working on has been asleep for about 20 years.I've pulled both manifolds off and ready to go inside,I plan on lapping the valves, just wondering if you know of anything I should watch out for. I 'm making sure everything is clean,running my shop vac over every thing as i go.I appreciate all your advice thank you Marty.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White