News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

39 LaSalle dash Throttle + Instr light

Started by las39, August 18, 2011, 06:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

las39

I have 2 questions regarding knobs in the dash

1-Next to the starter there is a instrument light knob and next to it a throttle knob that can be pulled with a short wire.

1- How does the instrument light work? Mine has only a flip switch underneath. is there a variable resistor or is it only an on/off switch?

2- Is the throttle knob a sort of cruise control or a helper for starting and where on the carb is it connected?

Anybody knows, or maybe a pic will be appreciated
thank you
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Warren Rauch #4286

Question #1
    You probably have just what came from the factory.It is what is on my Dad,s 1939 series 75 . The LaSalle Owners manual (page 14)says "The two position switch for these lamps is mounted on the instrument  board flange below the lettering " Inst. Lights"  In the left hand position , the insrument  lamps are lighted ,but only if the headlamps are also turned on. In the right handed position, the instrument lamps and lock lamp are lighted , regardless of the headlamps" If you do have just an on-off switch iti s wrong.
Ouestion #2
The thottle was used to keep the engine running faster after you first started it ( especially in cold weather),before automatic chokes were avalible. On your car it usn't needed,but most makes kept them till the late 40's. They have been used as a cruise control. But, don't do it. You can't disingage by hitting the brakes,so you'll need to brake a lot harder than normal.Warren

Don Boshara #594

The hand throttle connects to a lever on the right (passenger) side of the carb base. Warren is right, using the dash throttle as a cruise control is extremely dangerous.
1940 Sixty Special
1966 Mustang Cpe

las39

Many thanks to both gentlemen for the answers, Very appreciated  :)
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert