News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

BEST SPARK PLUG WIRES

Started by R Schroeder, August 19, 2011, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

What are your thoughts on spark plug  wires.
Solid core or carbon coated.
I have a 78 with a 425.
What do you guys feel is the best wire.
Roy

EAM 17806

ROY!  I strongly suggest you purchase plug wires made in America made by "STANDARD"  which makes many good high quality automotive parts. I always had them for my 76 Coupe de Ville and they fire very well and last a long time. Buy American wherever you can because they are of much better quality and not much more costly at all. Check your area auto parts stores or go on line.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Glen

Roy,

A long time ago I changed my 61 CDV and 68 ELDO spark plug wires to solid core and my plugs to resistor.  One reason for that was the resistor wires were made with graphite coated string instead of wire.  If you pull the wire incorrectly you can break the string greatly increasing the resistance in that wire. 

Being in the electronics field I also had issues with the difference in resistance to each cylinder caused by the difference in wire length. 

The solid core wires I bought are also silicone insulated.  They were expensive but I have never had any problems with them and ran them in my daily driver for at least 20 years. 

HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

R Schroeder

Thanks for the responses. I have been reading about the different wires and it seems the hot rod guys like the low resistance solid wires, like MSD makes.
Just wanted to know how many guys use the different type wires.
What brand were yours Glen.

Glen

I really don’t know.  I bought them from NAPA about 25 years ago.  IIRC it cost me $58 for the set.  Very expensive for the time. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

TJ Hopland

The wire in the premium Napa sets is Belden wire.  I have had some on for 10 years now and they still seem fine.  They are also have a fairly hard shiny outer coating on them so they also still look good after 10 years.  They are also blue which at least somewhat fits with the blue valve covers on the later Cadillacs. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Don't solid core wires give you a lot static on the radio?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

The MSD wires are not suppose to do that. They have the low resistance but enough not to bother the radio.
Just poking around here to find out if anybody uses them , or if they stay with the high resistance wires.
I have a set on my car from NAPA, and they seem OK. Just wondering if the low resistance are better.
Roy

Glen

QuoteDon't solid core wires give you a lot static on the radio?

That’s why you use resistor spark plugs. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104