News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac Underhood Air Suspension compressor questions

Started by Rob Troxel, August 23, 2011, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Troxel

Has anyone rebuilt one of the units?  I have a new diaphram for one on my 1968 Eldorado and was wondering if there are any other O riings, etc need to complete the rebuild?

Antoni Deighton

Rebuilding the ALC compressor is my next project. I have yet to take it to pieces (although I have looked at the description and diagrams in the service manual).
Antoni Deighton - CLC# 25867
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - (Grecian White)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - (Arizona Beige)
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT - (Bluette)

Rob Troxel

Thanks for the reply.  Keep me posted on what you do.

Thanks!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

GM used to sell a rebuild kit for these vacuum type compressers but they
have been gone for years.  I don't know if anyone makes a repro version
of this kit.  You might try USA Parts.  Yes, there are more parts you need
besides the pump diaphram.

I have a similar ALC unit in my '73 Eldo and was lucky enough to find an
NOS one about 10 years ago to replace my failing one.  Once and awhile
they show up on E-Bay.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Glen

I’ve been repairing these compressors for my 68 ELDO for a number of years.  I’ve put over 300,000 miles on my ELDO and have kept the ALC operational the whole time.  I do have a number of spares. 

Of all the spares I have I think only a couple have a bad diaphragm.  Mostly they have problems with the distributor valve or worse the regulator self destructs. 

The first thing is to check for the yellow cap on the regulator.  If it is there it is probably OK, but you need to clean it and prevent from self destructing.  I would refrain from filling the reservoir with shop air until the regulator is cleaned. 

Take a look at my lame web page here
http://www.planeteldorado.com/ALC/index.html

I’ll help you as you work on this. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Rob Troxel

Thanks Glen!  This is just what I need to get started!  I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Regards,

Rob

PS  The earlier photo you sent  of the rear suspension connection rod to the axle was very helpful as I knew what parts I needed to find.  Jeff @ Willington Cadillac had the part!