News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1930 Cadillac

Started by Cooke, August 23, 2011, 08:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

Just removed my radiator to have it cleaned out and while it is apart thought I would paint the louvers. Should they be painted a high gloss black or should they be more flat or satin black?? This is a 1930 V8 club sedan.

Johan Boltendal #158

It would have been painted with the same paint the body was done, Johan

quadfins

Just to clarify, are the "louvers" the thermostatically controlled ones in front of the radiator, to control air flow, or the cooling fins that make up the radiator?

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Cooke

Yes the thermostatically controlled ones in front of the radiator not the ones on the hood. The car is a dark brown with black fenders, does this mean they should be brown??

Johan Boltendal #158

You will find both, body colored and fender colored shutters, I've been unable to find how they came from the factory,
if your car still has the original color, it may be possible to determine if the shutters were brown or black when it was delivered.
The gloss question is at least cleared. Johan

Matt Harwood

If it helps, those on my '29 are black to match the fenders, while the body is green. Personally, I greatly prefer the black grille. I've seen quite a few with painted grilles that match the body and it always looks wrong, and I suspect that black was the standard choice. Custom colors were probably available, but they rarely look correct, especially the lighter colors. You just can't go wrong with basic black in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Matt Harwood
Cleveland, OH
1929 Cadillac 341B sedan
1941 Cadillac 60S
2010 CTS4 3.6 Performance Wagon

Fred Zwicker #23106

My "newly-purchased" 1930 Cadillac - LaSalle Convertible has a chrome grill guard in front of the shutters, so the shutters do not show.  I just checked with a flashlight and the shutters are black.  My car was meticiously restored some years back and everything else seems to be 100% original, so I am thinking that the shutters were originally black.  Pictures attached.

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

R Schroeder

Fred, that is one beautiful Cadillac.
Roy