News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"BOILED" Eldorado Horror Story

Started by Jeff Wilk, August 24, 2011, 08:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

OK.....first hand experience here on what NOT to do with a 75 Eldorado with original paint, two car covers, rain, and sun.  Yup, you already guessed it......a fabric car cover on the car first, then a "rubberized" cover on top of that one to keep most of the rain off the car so it did not leak into the convertible while temporarily on the driveway......torrential rains for a week on and off.....broken up by a day or two of extreme sunshine and then back to rain and then back to sun.......two weeks later I take off the covers and find that the paint on my hood and trunk lid have been "BOILED".  what was once a only slightly dull original paint now looks like some abstract painting with milk all over the flat surfaces, and some down the fender sides as well.  The paint even feels raised.
:-[
WHAT CAN I DO?????  I was planning on a repaint at some point, but the paint was totally passable.  Not any more..... :'(

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

This illustrates why it's NEVER recommended to use a rubber or "non-
breathable" type cover on a car.  What happens is that the water gets
trapped under that cover and severely chalks the paint.  In 1975, they
were still using acrylic lacquer -- the was before the era of clear coats.
Being that the paint is that old, I'm afraid there is not much "room" to
buff all that oxidation out.  You'll be down to the primer quickly.

Since your paint was already marginal, it might be a good idea to go
ahead with that repaint sooner than later.  Go with a base coat / clear
coat this time around. 

However, do you have a place to store the car indoors?  Something to think
about before that paint job.  I have a '73 Eldo with it's original paint -- BUT
I store it indoors with a plain cotton cover on it.  Still looks great.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jim Beard

I would try to buff it out, if you go through the paint then its time to put a nice base/clear job on it.

AHBrown

Is it really necessary to cover a car that is kept indoors?  Other then keep the dust off, what is the benefit? 

quadfins

It is surprising how much dust and grit can get into a garage.
Plus bug specks
Plus the occasional bird that flies in and roosts.
In addition, the cover provides padding and protection for when I move around, putting things away, getting tools, etc. Even my clothes can scratch the surface, so the cover is extra protection against problems.
Makes it quicker to clean the car off for a cruise, and less need to wash and wax frequently.
Is there any harm in covering a garaged car??

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

AHBrown

Not to be argumentative, but on the other side of the coin, my car has been kept in a garage since the day I bought it home some 25 years ago, with no cover.  Its always been in a basic attached garage with no climate control.  The paint is as fresh and new as the day it rolled off the truck.  To give the car a quick cleaning I use a California Car Duster.  I also periodically use the latest spray waxes frequently.  In between waxes, I frequently give it the once over, with a detailer. 

quadfins

To Each, His Own.

Vive la Difference.

etc...

Isn't it fine that we all have the ability to choose our own preferences.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

R Schroeder

I could have swore you painted this car already and had pictures of it someplace.
Roy

76eldo

My cars get dusty in the garage.  If you buy a soft cotton or flannel type cover, like a Beverly Hills cover you can't hurt anything at all.  Covering outside cars is a problem due to wind chaffing the paint and moisture getting trapped under the cover.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

quadfins

Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dan LeBlanc

I think an indoor cover is a great idea.  Waxes and polishes only go so far to protect.  My garage has lots of windows that have no UV filters.  I've seen lots of cars stored inside parked next to windows uncovered with strange fade patterns, especially on darker carpets like black.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Wilk

Thank You everyone for all of these posts!!!  My car still has the original paint which was already thin when I bought it a year ago as I think the seller tried to buff it out.  The car that was already repainted was another CLC members from the west coast that is this cars "sister" if you will.

I know better as well which makes this all the worse.  The only thing keeping me from getting real ticked off is the fact that I already made up my mind to have at least the hood and trunk repainted.......just not yet.......you see.....I do have indoor storage for the car but as you can see in the April Self Starter.....my son and I are working tirelessly on bringing back to the Cadillac "Standards" our 1959 Fleetwood.  We are currently doing lots of detailing under the hood and well....while we were at it......off came the brake booster so we are doing all new brakes.....then we wanted to freshen up the firewall while we were at it......so off came the A/C Box and while we were at it.....off came the hood and all the brackets.....and while we were at it.....we did not realize how much room all these parts were taking up....so while we were at it.....we moved the 75 Eldo out to the driveway...."only for a day or two".......and now the rest of the story you know.
:( :( :(
So in the end I guess it starts and ends like this......while restoring the 59 Fleetwood we decided to repaint the 75 Eldo!!!! :-[

I will definitely try to buff it out.  It is a great car that is only the 12th 1975 Eldo Conv off the line and somewhere around the 120th Cadillac of that year in total, and has all but three of every factory option with only 73k miles.......

Thanks again.......Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville