News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

welch plugs

Started by Cooke, August 26, 2011, 06:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooke

I just removed some of the welch or freeze plugs from my 1930 v8 Cadillac to clean out the block. They seem to be 1 and 7/8ths inch and NAPA does not have them, they have to be the concave disc type not the cup type, any idea where I might get these??

Classic

It looks like NAPA has them in steel, but not brass:

Expansion Plug, 1.875"; Disc Type; Steel
Part Number: SEP 3811020
Product Line: Sealed Power Engine Parts
IMPORTANT INFO: Steel Disc Type Freeze Plug,1 7/8"

Hope this helps.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Classic

Looks like http://www.mahleclevite.com/ has them in brass, their part number 219-6020.  Go to their website to find your closest distributor.

As an aside, the Hubbard Spring Company in Oxford, MI is the original patent holder and manufacturer of the Welch Expansion Plug since 1913.  They are still in business and still make welch plugs, but apparently do not sell retail.

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jay Friedman

My '49 engine uses six welch/freeze plugs 1 31/64" inch in diameter.  Being an odd size I could only find 5 following an engine rebuild so, as an alternative, in the 6th hole I substituted a hard rubber welch/freeze plug 1½ inches in diameter.  This type is fastened in place by a nut and bolt in the middle of the plug which expands the rubber against the perimeter of the hole in the block.  I thought I'd leave it in place temporarily until I could find a steel plug. 

To install it, I first shaved it slightly on a grinding wheel to attempt to reduce the diameter by 1/64 inch.  I then tapped it in with a hammer and tightened the nut.  It has been in place for 2 years without leaking or popping out.  The irony is that a few months later I was able to buy several new 1 31/64" inch steel plugs, but due to the rubber plug remaining in place without causing any problems I haven't used any.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

For the OHV 50 vintage engine that I recently rebuilt I bought brass plugs.  Dorman part number 560-021.  I think I ordered them from Carquest and had to buy a pack of 10.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

mgbeda

I'm not saying that you should use the "temporary" rubber freeze plugs, but...  I started driving old Bessie in 1988, and put more than 100,000 miles on her over the next 20 years, before I decided to tear her down to restore her.  Now that I've taken her engine out I see that it has two rubber freeze plugs that were put in before I started driving her in '88.  I guess they'll last a while.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)