News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Front wheel suspension 1940 series 90

Started by KD, August 26, 2011, 09:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KD

How do you remove the slotted threaded pin in the lower suspension yoke.
I'v tried to move then both ways but they seem frozen. Which way do you turn them to remove them?
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Classic

The threaded pin is held in place by a tapered locking pin.  The tapered locking pin is located just above the threaded pin on the steering knuckle support.  Use a pick to clean around the ends of the tapered locking pin to see which way the pin is installed.  Then use a punch on the tapered end of the tapered locking pin to knock it out.  If the tapered locking pin is rusted in place, this can be quite difficult.  I tried to upload a scanned exploded view of this assembly, but it was rejected as too large.  I'll send it to you in an email.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

KD

Thanks Gene, I couldn't find out how to do in any of my manuals
Ken Dennison
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Ken,

The really hard one to get out is the big nut showing in your second picture.  You will want to get it apart at some point because the washer there is your camber adjustment.  If needed for adjustment you would put one of the washers on the other side to space the yoke out.  There is also the same set up on the top so between the two there is a range of adjustment.  The nut at the top is smaller and more accessible so it is not usually a problem.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Classic

Brad is right about the big nut.  I bought the correct box end wrench at Sears and then had to grind about half the thickness away in order to get the wrench on the nut.  But even that wasn't enough.  Ended up having heat the whole assembly red hot to break it loose.  Be sure to put anti-seize on it when reassembling it.
Gene Menne
CLC #474